Texas 4x4 Forum banner

91 Zuk Buggy

57K views 538 replies 42 participants last post by  Rastus 
#1 · (Edited)
Picked up a new toy, and I'll be posting the tinkering to personalize it. So far it needs a quicker orbital, rear floor pan, and prefer an aluminum roof. The seats are a touch high, so I'm going to look at lowering them.

91 Zuk Buggy
Built 1.3/5 speed/6.5-1 t case
82 Scout 44s/spooled/5.38s
3 link front with Rancho 14" coilovers
dbl tri 4 link rear with fox air shocks
37x14 iroks on champion beadlocks
apprx 2600lbs

I'm going to put it on scales to get an actual number once it's done. Here are a few pics

pulled the skins and seats so I can lower the seat mounts. Picked up some Crow harnesses, 2:1 steering quickener, and a coolant over flow bottle from Smileys. Still need to pick up a new orbital mount and splined input. The old one was rigged and bound up, this will be a lot cleaner.

See less See more
#3 ·
Yes, but not immediately. I may swap fuel cells as well, just have to see how I can get the most storage room as possible out of the rear. Brian built it with a ton of room compared to the YJ. I may only put one small one in there for just Draven and put a swag offroad bin beside him. For now I'm just going to get the steering 100% satisfied, lower my seat, and strap in the fuel cell. Jackie is almost a foot shorter and doesn't really need the room, but my head is too close for comfort.

I also started cleaning up unused wiring today. I plan to order a new orbital splined column or whatever they call them, orbital mount, a u joint, and possibly some threaded trick tabs.

#7 ·
That's the plan, ill try and sell/trade these for some 17s, grab some stickies and peel out.

What was your next comment? I have considered modding the cage to more of a fastback style and just putting a single seat sideways as Draven is really small, and it would make good storage. I've seen a few made that way. For now just gonna skin the floor and wait.

#13 ·
The steering column you bolt directly into the orbital. I need one and there is a $14 difference between PSC and Trail Gear, also the TG is 1.25" shorter which is another plus. The downfall is TG and Poly Performance can't tell me the spline count other than stock Toyota. Due to the location I will need a ujoint not a coupler as it's a slight angle. The PSC is 13/16 36 spline, the trail gear doesn't say and with over 300 views apparently no one with a Toyota does either. Maybe I need to call a dealership and ask?

#20 ·
Really like this rig. Glad you found what you were looking for. Not sure how evil twin sticks are different from the good ones...:D

#32 ·
Got the new $75 Borgeson ujoint in and connected it all up to see where the new mount needs welded. Unfortunately I still have the exact same problem. I can twist the orbital column lock to lock with no binding. I can spin the steering wheel that's connected to the smiley's racing steering quickener and it spins flawlessly. BUT if I connect the two it will barely move 1/4 turn without binding. I'm really at a complete loss. Tomorrow I'm going to try and make a temporary shaft to remove the quickener. I can only think maybe the orbital is causing it to bind.

I can't say I've ever heard of one binding when it spins so freely. Nor have I heard of an orbital binding. They only do it when connected to each other. Anyone have an idea I'm missing?

#36 ·
Glad I took a break last night. In short, I'm an idiot. Went out this morning to disassemble it all and noticed paint scratched on the motor mount. The allen head keeper screw on the ujoint was hitting it b/c it sticks out half an inch. Removed it and all problems solved.

Now I'm repairing the brake line I squished doing all this.

#38 ·
Now I just have to study up on zuk brakes. These flat out suck, by far the worst braking I've ever had on any rig. I'm not sure if there is a master cylinder upgrade for the sammis or not, like there is for the TJ/YJ. As far as I know George never changed the master so it's still stock.

Otherwise, it's fun making hot laps around the block :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.