Texas4x4.org Tech Forum Index Texas4x4.org Tech
Texas4x4.org Tech Section

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Steve's straight body truck buildup
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Texas4x4.org Tech Forum Index -> Show and Tell
View previous topic :: View next topic  
77mudbuddy
Welcome to 'P'Ville
Welcome to 'P'Ville

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

as for the front, I dont remember breaking it in, I just ran it and it did fine. For that matter I dont think I really "Broke in" the 14 bolt either. You should be fine
TexasA&M
Mall Cruiser
Mall Cruiser

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, good news and bad news. The good news is that the front is completely bolted up under the truck. After working on it last night, figuring out the calipers today, and hooking up the drive shaft (had to get u-joint straps), we took her for a spin. Everything seemed to be working normal... steering was nice and tight, alightment is off, but that's to be expected.

We drove 4 or 5 miles, and were almost back to the house and stopped to lock the front hubs in to see what would happen. While we were out of the truck, there was a very strong smell of hot paint, and then I noticed smoke coming from the back of the truck. Did some investigating, and turns out, the rear driverside brake is very very hot. Only a half mile from home, so I drove it home, backed it in, and jacked up the rear end. Tried to rotate the tires, and they don't want to turn. The brake is definitely catching. Pulled the tire off, and the drum is way hot. It burned the paint off the outside (I painted it with engine enamal... rated up to 500 degrees). There was a spring from the emergency brake lever at the bottom of the drum that had apparently come off at some point. I let it all cool and reattached the spring, and then adjusted the shoes so that I could put the drum back on. Drove it around the block, backed it into the garage, and the drum is hot again (not nearly as hot as before, but hotter than the other side). Jacked it up, the brake is bound up again. Pull it apart and take another look. I noticed that the shoes are not sitting flush against the top post, but I can't align it right because the parking brake strut is touching both shoes and keeping them a certain distance apart. At this time, I notice that the emergency brake cable is very very loose under the truck. I didn't note how it was before, so I can't compare, but it doesn't feel right. Anyhow, I ended up just leaving it for the night... tomorrow, I'll probably take it all apart and start over. What's weird though is that I've driven 40 or 50 miles since we finished messing with the rear end, and the problem just started now. I'm thinking it maybe had something to do with the fact that when I pulled into the garage last night, I didn't have any front brakes, so I used the ebrake to stop (I just idled into the garage). I've done that before though, and it wasn't an issue, so I don't know.

Backtracking a little to the locking of the hubs.... We locked the hubs in and drove it straight down the road and everything seemed to be working great. Took a turn, and I could really feel it bind up (there is now a locker in the front). The Tcase is in 2WD, but I've never had a locker, so I don't know how they act in 2WD with the hubs locked. Once we rounded the corner and got back on the straight road, the truck was pulling pretty hard in one direction and felt like it was in 4WD. I got to my house and started backing up into the driveway, and it felt like it released, and turning was easy again. I had them locked also when I went around the block (after messing with the brakes), and it was pulling pretty ahrd again. Went to turn, and it started popping and clunking, so I stopped and unlocked the hubs. I've never experienced a locker before, so I guess I need to get it in some dirt and feel it out. I wasn't expecting it to have such adverse affects when the hubs were locked, but the tcase was in 2WD.

Holy cr@p, I just realized that I wrote way too much for anyone to want ot read. Sorry about that.

I guess the point is that I've got a couple of kinks to work out, and I need to test the locker to get comfortable with how it works.
Glenn
Donating Vendor
Donating Vendor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The front end will definitly bind up w/ the hubs locked and a locker, so what your experiencing sounds normal, even the popping sounds, and the pulling to one side. Even w/ the Tcase in 2wd, these things are normal.

If you're dead set on "breaking in" your front gears, you may want to just lock in one hub, or unlock both hubs and just run in 4 hi for a little while, but I wouldn't worry about messing with it at all. Just use the 4wd when you need it.
TexasA&M
Mall Cruiser
Mall Cruiser

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not really concerned with breaking them in... I just wanted to lock the hubs in last night and make sure everything turned like it's supposed to. I was also sidetracked with the brake issue, so I wasn't able to give full attention to the front end. I'm hoping to get it in the dirt this weekend, but it depends on what is going on with the rear end.

Question - how much heat does it take to warp a drum?
dott
Tool Man
Tool Man

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For offroad use, run it till it causes a problem.
TexasA&M
Mall Cruiser
Mall Cruiser

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On road, though, it's already caused a problem. Neutral
TexasA&M
Mall Cruiser
Mall Cruiser

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, turned out to the be a jammed e-brake cable. It was holding the brake out just far enough to heat up, but not far enough to keep the truck from rolling. I'll have to go junk yard hopping next week to find a replacement.

Other than that, the truck is running good. Got a little bit of a shimmy at 65, but I need to get it aligned before I start trouble shooting that (alignment and balance might clear it up). Gonna head out on the highway tomorrow on the way to my folks place... then I'll find some dirt once I get there and test out the new diffs! Cheers
TexasA&M
Mall Cruiser
Mall Cruiser

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Took the truck out wheeling on some wet grass today and already experienced some carnage.... I was wheeling around this morning just feeling things out with the new driveline and the front end kept popping and clunking, and it seemed to be coming from the hubs. It just didn't feel right, so I unlocked the hubs and went about my way. Later on in the day I was underneath bleeding the brakes, and I noticed that one of the caps on the drivers side axle shaft u-joint was coming out of the yoke on the shaft. Not sure how or why, but looks like I've already lost a u-joint.

I was expecting that the locker would be hard on the front end, but I wasn't thinking that it would throw a joint in the first 10 minutes of light use. I'm gonna try and pull that shaft sometime this week and replace the joint so that I can do another test run next weekend.

Question about locker operation in the front end - on soft ground, there shouldn't be any weird popping or grinding, correct? There will be some binding, but that will be alleviated by tire slippage on the ground (I've got bald highway tires, so slippage is not a problem). Is this somewhat accurate?
brian052484
Web Wheeler
Web Wheeler

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would imagine that having it in 4 with the diff being locked would cause a lot of noise and clunking, etc. What kind of locker of you have?
-dove-tailed f&r, bobbed
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
TexasA&M
Mall Cruiser
Mall Cruiser

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a lunchbox locker... specifically, quiklok, but genuine gear.
TexasA&M
Mall Cruiser
Mall Cruiser

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My UPS man has gotten a work out the last week or so...

That's front and rear 4" springs, shocks, all the hardware for the lift. Not pictured is the cross over steering setup from Sky, and the shackles and steering brace from ORD. Gotta run out to the yard this week and pick up a 2WD steering box and I should be good to go.

Shooting to start working on this towards the end of the week and possibly get it done over the weekend. We'll see how it goes.
TexasA&M
Mall Cruiser
Mall Cruiser

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a work in progress....

rear lifted -

Lift complete -

It's got the typical a$$ sag. I installed some ORD shackles in the front, so that put the front a hair higher than it was supposed to be with just the lift. I'm going to give the springs some time to settle a bit and then get either some zero rates or 1" blocks to raise the rear.

Here's some spring comparisons...

rear -

front -

The crossover isn't done yet because the drag link they sent isn't long enough.

Hopefully I'll have new treads by the end of the week. Gotta get some other stuff lined up first and see what falls into place.
brian052484
Web Wheeler
Web Wheeler

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man... that's a sharp lookin truck! I'd love to have one like that to cruise around town.

I was actually going to build mine up like yours when I first bought it... then I guess I just got the bug!
-dove-tailed f&r, bobbed
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
TexasA&M
Mall Cruiser
Mall Cruiser

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pictures with the new treads...

brian052484
Web Wheeler
Web Wheeler

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i really like it a lot!!! Cheers lookin good
-dove-tailed f&r, bobbed
TexasA&M
Mall Cruiser
Mall Cruiser

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The guys at Sky sent my new drag link out today, so hopefully I'll have my steering all set up in the next week or so. After that, I've got an appointment for the boys at Krawltex to put a truetrac in the front end, and then I should be good to go for a while... at least for the big stuff. Thumb
R_S_C
Trail Guide
Trail Guide

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

very nice truck, i'd love to drive one of those daily! Cheers

Some people are like slinkies. They don't really have a purpose. But they bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs. - Sarge
TexasA&M
Mall Cruiser
Mall Cruiser

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the kind words!

I'm working to get it to the point where I could drive it daily without worry. I'm working on an oil pressure issue right now (99% sure it's the gauge, but in the back of my mind I'm hoping that the motor doesn't seize up). She's also leaking slightly less than the Valdez right now. Probably going to end up replacing the rear main at some point. That, or just get a turn-key, leak tested crate motor to drop in. Laughing
muddyblzr
Web Wheeler
Web Wheeler

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

don't skimp get a built ls2! you want 500hp out of the box!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Texas4x4.org Tech Forum Index -> Show and Tell All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: