Texas 4x4 Forum banner

I wanted to make a little mention about something.....

1K views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  Gravel Maker 
#1 ·
...that has been bothering me.

Why do Americans so often buy the least expensive thing made when they pretty much know it isn't very good?

Why do the people that will be affected the most from buying China made products buy so many of them?

We are facing a pretty scary recession in the US right now and the people in the highest risk jobs (highest risk of losing their job) continue to shop at that "W" store that sends ~60% of all dollars directly to China? Hundreds of billions of dollars a year, its the biggest foreign aid package going!

When you shop, THINK of where that item was made, your job depends on it!

Buy American Made products from American owned companies, don't mess around when its your future on the line.......

#2 · (Edited)
I'm stumped on this one. IF the W is Walmart...then I guess, you have a point. That is one of our biggest competitor....So, I stay way from them as much as I can. But, I didn't know about the China thing. and maybe I should.LOL
I did buy a Chevy. and my Toyota....well, I bought it used and it has served me well. She is now 27 years old.
Mike
I would like to think about what to write...but I need to get to work in about 5 minutes.

#3 ·
...that has been bothering me.

Why do Americans so often buy the least expensive thing made when they pretty much know it isn't very good?

Why do the people that will be affected the most from buying China made products buy so many of them?

We are facing a pretty scary recession in the US right now and the people in the highest risk jobs (highest risk of losing their job) continue to shop at that "W" store that sends ~60% of all dollars directly to China? Hundreds of billions of dollars a year, its the biggest foreign aid package going!

When you shop, THINK of where that item was made, your job depends on it!

Buy American Made products from American owned companies, don't mess around when its your future on the line.......[/QUOTE

u think 60%. i think a little more.
hey walmart, what happened to buy usa only.
they dont really care as long they are still in in the billion dollar family.

#4 ·
good question but where is anything really built, the auto manufactuers outsource 40 percent of the cars from overseas, levi jeans made in the carribbean, and most computers based in japan, most steel from china etc. overseas beef brought in, barley for our beer etc. you get the point. but i do try to support american owed companies

G
#5 ·
Basically it boils down to people wanting everything for nothing. And the younger generation having the mentality of “ It’s not my problem” because everything has been handed to them and they believe that it always should be.

Nobody wants to get out and sweat and work hard anymore.

Granted everyone wants cheep prices there is nothing wrong with that. Yet America has lost sight of the old saying “You get what you pay for.” because everything has become cheaply made and disposable in this day and age. Everything has shifted from quality to quantity. And no one cares where it comes from as long as they can get it cheep and now.

People no longer think of the long run and buying a product that will last. They want instant gratification so they buy the what can I get right now cheep item. Then they raise he!! About it not lasting and go right out and buy another because it’s cheep. Where as if they would have pony’d up and paid a little more for a good quality item that is made in the USA they wouldn’t have to spend more to buy it again.

#8 ·
I would love to buy USA made products. But the fact is I pretty much live paycheck to paycheck, and If I can save a little here and there thats what I have to do. Will it last as long? NO, but Like Snick said when it breaks I will go buy another one. Am I proud of this ? Not really but....
I try to but "local" when I can, but the fact of the matter is, It just cost more. For example there is a "local" groc. store that supports our local schools, supports little leauge teams and is a HUGE supporter of Texas Tech. I do shop there sometimes but I can get more for my money if I shop at Wal-mart.
Its sad to see me and the rest of the country going this way, but its hard to avoid. yeah i know that put the local jobs at risk and fewer USA products are bought, but now days who can afford otherwise?

About things made over seas, the company that I work for is nation wide, founded in the good old USA by a couple of good old boys, we have grown to the point that most of products are bought from china and Canada. We have to do this to stay competitive with the rest of the market.

#9 ·
Its pretty interesting, the type of response......

I can understand the reason one person HAS to shop at "W" and at the same time "W" may have created the reason they HAVE to.....it goes full circle.

And many companies and unions are at fault also but it boils down to who operates their business like a vulture?

Forcing companies to lower wholesale prices with the threat of going to China if they didn't and then going to China anyway with no care to the devastation they wreak on the communities the previous supplier was in.

Predatory sales practices designed to destroy small communities and most of the businesses in those communities. All under the veil of "We are providing much needed jobs". Needs created when they force the small businesses out.

And the way employees are treated by those companies, employees are disposable in their eyes and treated as such.

I know I raised the ire of many when I mention unions being at fault but take a step back and look at the whole situation. When the union tries to increase pay and benefits every year and the company is right on the edge already from fighting the Chinese influence don't you think no increase and having a job is better than an increase to go with no job?

And then the companies manufacturing the products. Publically traded companies are much worse than privately owned companies in that they have to try and meet shareholder expectations and would fight the lowering of profit margins where privately held (and generally smaller) companies can take a longer view and compete at a lower profit.

This is a very large and complicated problem but we must face it because there is nowhere to go from here.....We cannot be a service country, we need to make things too.

#12 ·
What is this recession you speak of? Other than the housing market in places other than TX things don't seem too gloomy. Stock market's up, unemployment isn't that bad. Granted gas is expensive but we've learned to deal with it.

As far as the Chinese made stuff goes, I think we're seeing somewhat of a backlash right now on their products, but there has always been and always will be a market for cheap crap. I'm pretty sure each consumer of chinese products realizes they are buying crap and expect as much. There are still enough Americans that want quaility products and are willing to pay for it.

The one thing America has always had going for it is that we will always come up w/ the newest/greatest ideas and products, it's always been that way and will remain so.

#13 ·
I said facing.....its not here yet but its showing signs.....

What is this recession you speak of? Other than the housing market in places other than TX things don't seem too gloomy. Stock market's up, unemployment isn't that bad. Granted gas is expensive but we've learned to deal with it.
But the majority of it is directly related to 2 things.....And they are tied together.....

Interest rates, which really have no place to go but up due to the low demand for the 30 year bond.....

And the confidence the rest of the world has for the US and our economy......Their confidence drives the rate paid on the 30 year bond which is the benchmark all interest rates are derived from......

We, as a people aren't the best savers and we do not even buy a majority of the bonds our country issues. If the buyers of US bonds do not have faith in our economy they don't buy US bonds unless they get a higher rate based on the risk they see or imagine......Driving our interest rates higher......Our present Chairman of the Federal Reserve saw fit to lower the overnite rate a month ago as other countries were raising theirs. This wasn't entirely seen as the best thing to do, it is a short-term solution for a much larger problem......

I don't mean to get political but some things will always need an explanation......BTW, I am not just talking out of my butt here, 3 years ago I ran the Risk Management Tradinng department for a major US Brokerage firm and I have traded a bond 1 or 2 times.......Wall Street is scared.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.