Texas 4x4 Forum banner

6.2 Starting Trouble.

2K views 18 replies 6 participants last post by  crewcab88 
#1 ·
Hello, all !

Ok, a very long story, I'll make it as short as I can. I recently purchased a 17,000 mile "J" code 6.2 Diesel, it came out of a 1985 k3500 fire truck. I got the wire harness and all with the motor, after going over little things I got the engine installed into my 1988 Crew Cab square that had a 454 TBI. Here is a list of the things I have done to it trying to get it started. Now there is no telling how long this truck had sat before I got the engine.

1. Glow plugs have been replaced and put on a manual switch.
2. Bleed out the air from the injector lines.
3. Batterys are cranking over fine now.
4. I have checked for the glass ball in the IP "Thanks to 67_SS396".

Here is what I know.

1. The injectors are getting fuel.
2. Glow plugs are working correctly.
3. Upon removing the top of the IP I noticed the solenoid "where the pink wire hooks too" is cracked. on the case submergedin fuel ! nonon
4. I also noticed that upon trying to start it, the top of the IP is hot to the touch. I have operated the key and the solenoid is clicking, and I have held it to the engine and it is operating " weather or not correctly, I don't know"
5. It will not even attempt to start, not even on WD40 or starting fluid.
6. I am replacing the injectors with 6.5 ones, due to the 6.5 turbo I have, thats going on it. I am thinking they could be clogged up, but would it still try to start on starting fluid ?

Can anyone help ?

See less See more
#2 ·
did it run in the other truck ?
are you sure your in time ?
is there white smoke coming out of the exhaust ?
did you wet the rings ?
is ther a popping pinging knocking thug or hissing noise ?

#3 ·
did it run in the other truck ? - As far as I know it did run.

are you sure your in time ? - Not sure it is in time, the mark on the top of the injection pump is lined up on the block. Other than that I have not torn it down.

is there white smoke coming out of the exhaust ? - A little on the first couple tries, but none since.

did you wet the rings ? Not sure how to do that ?- LOL so I'm saying no.

is ther a popping pinging knocking thug or hissing noise ? - Yes there is a hissing noise like a compression release through a valve, and the only popping noise is when I glow the engine, at about 8 onethousand I hear a pung type noise

#4 ·
does the oil smell like raw diesel ?

you might need to wet the rings . pure a little bit of diesel in the intake . dont over do it . the rings might be bad . might not have any compression or not enough to get it to fire . also your injector pump could be taosted . plunger could have a small crack . do you have good fuel psi getting to teh injector pump ? any 3 of these could be why it smokes and 1st and then stops .

call me if you need to . wont be around the computer 361-461-5503

#9 ·
Well my buddy 67_SS396 hooked me up with another IP, I was wondering though if anyone has came up with a better way to prime the fuel lines ? My thought was to take a wall anchor insure the proper size cut the end off and grind down the head to fit a drill, then where the pin goes to stop the IP gear from walking out put this anchor in there tighten it up and hook the drill up. Spinn it till there is fuel dripping from the lines. I will insure that it is rotating the proper way, is there any reason this wont work ?

#15 ·
6.2 diesel

I too would be interested in how this works for you, I enjoyed reading about how you chased down your IP problems.:toast: Much of this newer fuel we get around here has been blended in the winter with anti-gel additves that really dry out the seals in the fuel system, especialy if the unit sets for a while in the summer months.
The norm around here is to dump the 6.2 and build a 454. I am curious if you find the 6.2 to be an improvement? I have one with 40,000 mile and has a dried out pump too, But it will start and run, after a lot of time bleeding and ect. I had planned to swap it for a BBC. Maybe I shoud just get the pump repaired. :toast:

#16 ·
I too would be interested in how this works for you, I enjoyed reading about how you chased down your IP problems.:toast: Much of this newer fuel we get around here has been blended in the winter with anti-gel additves that really dry out the seals in the fuel system, especialy if the unit sets for a while in the summer months.
The norm around here is to dump the 6.2 and build a 454. I am curious if you find the 6.2 to be an improvement? I have one with 40,000 mile and has a dried out pump too, But it will start and run, after a lot of time bleeding and ect. I had planned to swap it for a BBC. Maybe I shoud just get the pump repaired. :toast:

You got it, I got most of it buttoned up today and will get back to the grind this week. I should have it ready to roll in a few days. ! jamminzz

#18 ·
Thanks Ray :toast: I got it running finally ! LOL it did not have the intake on it, but it did fire up, I got another IP from Ryan an primed it with a wall anchor where the anti walking pin is in the front of the gear. I hooked a drill on to the anchor and had fuel running out of the lines in 3 min. It worked like a charm ! I'm getting it all put back together now and just got the 4L80 in and made the crossmember for it. My buddy 87zuk welded it up for me and it won't be long now ! jamminzz

#19 · (Edited)
Well a major update is needed here ! After getting the 6.2 running and getting the truck put all the way back together, the CRAP train came and ran me over. chrfal. I had the truck running trying to get the thermostat to open and all checking the trans fluid and making sure it was up to the test drive to come, when I went to install the radiator cap all HELL broke loose. After 10 seconds max of the cap being installed the engine started to serge up and down, and the next thing you know it went clack clack and died. So I went to start it and heard a dripping puddle sound from under the truck. I never should have looked ! spankn. There was anit-freez pouring outa the exhaust and it split the tank seam on my radiator ! :eek:. It has a blown head gasket or maybe a cracked head and was dumping compression into the cooling system, and when the cap as intsalled the compression had no where to go !

Any way I guess thats what I get for not getting into the engine before installing it ! But not to worry the truggie lost it's 454 and it getting this 6.2 and turbo after a good resealing ! :toast::budlight:

Now for the next thing. I know gas engines don't like diesel, but after installing the 454 back into the truck I used the fuel pump to get as much of the diesel outa the tank as I could and dumped 5 gallons of gas in on top of the left over diesel. the truck starts and runs but it don't run well till it warms up I think its because the engine is hot enough to help burn the diesel thats in the fuel? Is this a safe assumption ? ? I am going to add more fuel tonight and see, but its a bear to start when it sits overnight. Just want to make sure there is no other ideas ??

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.