Texas 4x4 Forum banner

Cummins exhaust options

2K views 28 replies 15 participants last post by  12vctd 
#1 ·
Alright guys what are you running for mufflers on your cummins diesels. I need to get a muffler put on mine so that I don't get another ticket for not having one. State Trooper outside of Glen Rose pulled me over yesterday because it was too loud when I went byspankn. Oh well now I will be able to hear the turbo whistle even better.bigok

#2 ·
I run one on mine. I guess I'm getting old cause I don't like to listen to a loud motor all day. :(

I have a 4" turbo back kit from diamond eye and so far I love it. Came with a huge stainless muffler or the straight piece to delete it. Super cheap too.

#5 ·
He was an old guy. I knew as soon as soon as he walked up to the truck I was getting a ticket for something. I know quite a few other guys that have had problems with it as well. Mostly around Kerrville area though. I have never had a problem around DFW. The other 5 or 6 Troopers I passed didn't seem to mind it either and I know for a fact that one of them got a good earful of the exhaust when I went by him. Either way I just want something that still has a good deep sound to it but will keep the pricks happy.

#6 ·
I will look into it. I figure if I am doing some exhaust work I may as well step up to the 4".

#10 ·
I have thought about that too Mitch. I have been thinking about getting a 4 inch exhaust anyway so I figured I would explore that a little bit. Thomas, I have considered that as well. Most of the guys I know that have had this problem have solved it that way. My brother did that to his '02 and it sounds pretty good. Just a little too quiet for me. Never know though I may do it just to be cheap.

#11 ·
I have a HOG performance 4" turbo back on mine and it's as loud as I can stand and wouldn't want anything louder. They are expensive compared to most out there but I got a killer deal on mine.

#13 ·
Are you running a muffler on it Ryan? I thought you were running without one.

#14 ·
No muffler, but from what I've been hearing, it wont be long till I have to run one. My brother has 4" MBRP with a Magnaflow muffler and it's quiet as hell.

#15 ·
I have 5" into a MBRP M2050 muffler and reduced to 4" right after, into a 90* angled out right in front of my passenger rear tire-it is still pretty loud at idle, and VERY loud when I want it to be!!

#17 ·
Parker County checks too, depending where you go.

#21 ·
Not sure what year your truck is, but I had a couple of those 24 valves. On both of them I had the muffler removed and left the factory resonator which is basically a straight through muffler. It is legal and almost just as loud as straight as well as not having the factory style muffler stopping things up. No need to go over the factory 3" unless you step up the turbo size. With the stock 35 anything you read about EGT...blah, blah, blah is bullshit.

Dynomax is a nice straight through option without the "diesel muffler" 50% markup. You can get one of their bullet style race mufflers and it will just take the edge off, but still sound good.

A 4" rolled edge tip might also take the edge off....best I remember you had a 5" tip. Those 5" on the second gen 24's are just nasty loud.

#24 ·
Mine is an '02. My tip is a 5 or 6 inch. I would like to step up in turbo size at some point which is why I am considering going to the 4 inch exhaust.

#22 ·
I believe it is the state requiring it. Kerrville area has made quite a few people that I know get a muffler before it would pass inspection. I know for a fact Glen Rose area requires it.

#27 ·
Well i ended up putting a single chamber flowmaster on it for now just to get the ticket dropped. It actually doesnt sound that much different. Same sound just a little quieter and not near as raspy sounding. For right now i actually like it and am happy with it.

#29 ·
theres a exon or chevron there in kerrville that just passed both my dodges for inspection Its between walmart and hastings on the nw side of main st (heading towards ingram). I just moved from out of state and had no clue that mufflers were needed but they passed me with flying colors after I put mudflaps on. (didnt know that till about two days of moving here and being pulled over once in del rio then rocksprings and kerrville all in the same day. MRBP makes a nice sounding 4 inch exhaust with a muffler I had this on my 07 5.9 cummins before the twins and 5 inch exhaust. Corsa db series mufflers also keep the sound many of my friends have run these, another buddy runs a impco muffler I will get the part number on his drag truck. I hope they dont decide that my trucks are too loud because I spend a ton of time in Kerrville.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.