Texas 4x4 Forum banner

91 4runner with 4.3??????

995 views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  LightBndr 
#1 · (Edited)
I'm sure this is TMI, but trying to lay it all out.

Driving home a few weeks ago I see this lifted 91 4runner sitting on the street. I checked it out popped the hood and there was tbi 4.3L under there. It ran but clutch was out (pedal on floor, slave cyl no worky). I drove it to my office with no clutch pedal (it slips too so its gotta be replaced) and engine runs good trans has all the gears brakes work etc. Guy that I got it from had no clue, didn't even know it had a chevy engine till I told him, so I have no history.

The engine is on production mounts of some kind, there is an aluminum radiator in it and most of the gauges work etc. There is a gheto fab trans to bellhousing adapter in it. It looks like someone cut a plate out with a torch that bolts up to the chevy bell, and another plate that bolts up to the toy trans and then welded some 1" spacers between them anywhere they didn't hit a bolt. I don't have time to fix it myself and my shop is full so I it to a trans shop that I have used in the past. I ordered all the Advance Adapters trans to engine adapter parts from Daves Offroad Supply including (bellhousing, fork, clutch disk, pressure plate, throwout bearing, slave cylinder etc.) I only want to buy the parts once and don't have time to piece parts together from 10 different sources. I also figured the ghetto fab adapter had something to do with the clutch going out.

So the hard parts in the drivetrain should be taken care of. I have searched all over and seem to be missing the good threads that I am looking for. Right now I want to clean up the wiring (there is a large roll of wires zip tied up on the fender) and then get the AC going (no compressor as of right now).

Any of you guys have some 4.3 swap links bookmarked or want to give me any advice on where to turn for some of this stuff?

I will eventually do the solid axle swap but that will be later on. I just need something to take the boys to the lake and go hunting in so I can keep my new Ford clean and shinny.

Thanks for the help.

See less See more
#2 ·
All I have is the 4.3 to W56 info from when I built my buggy, but it sounds like you have that part covered.

That's not a bad looking rig at all! Keep us posted.

#3 ·
The easiest way to find and see what you're looking for is to find a salvage yard that has......say....93 94 1500 TBI. It can be a 5.7 too. They use the same harness.
You can then trace and take pictures of locations. Otherwise you are stuck with diagrams and websites. I hate that way personally.
Hope you find what you need.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.