Texas 4x4 Forum banner

Trailer tires

3K views 37 replies 13 participants last post by  rockwellyj 
#1 ·
I've bout decided on which tires to get but looking for anymore advice about a place here in town to get a set. Looking for the best deal that is...... Want a set of quality tires. Anyone got a place that gives a good deal?

Lookin for a 10 ply 235/80-85/16

Thanks

#2 ·
I bought a set of Goodyear g rated for the company trailer, they were expensive, but are an awesome tire, my fifth wheel has Carlisle tires e range from discount, and seen to be holding up well..

#4 ·
Find some cheap bfg commercial t/a. There is a voluntary recall on them. Look at the DOT dates and see if they are within the applicable dates. Then go to discount and get em swapped out for yokahamas.

I've got five on my trailer right now. We also run them almost exclusively on our work trailers. Great success.

#11 ·
I got some goodride st radials ordered from the interweb. Good price and no tax. 170 less than discount wanted. Now to pay 40 to mount and balance. No big deal.

No bad reviews other than made in china....... But **** everything's made in china so...... Well see. I did ask discount to match the price and they said they would not match any EBay store prices.

#12 ·
Just about every cheap trailer tire out there is made in china....so take your pic. If you go with a name brand 10 ply it's big money. If I had 16" wheels I would be looking for a real nice used set of truck tires. You can get a good used set of name brand tires that will last just as long for $400 or less.

I got carlile 10 plys last time because I had to get 15's, but I would not have done that if I had 16's.

#14 ·
"Trailer tires" are rated on cycles of use. Often times don't last more then 12k miles. Also are only made to bear weight. Truck tires are a meatier design and have the weight bearing capabilities but the carcasses are also designed to handle drive forces. This is a much heavier duty tire that will perform just as good or.better than a dedicated trailer tire.

#15 ·
What he said. That's why I would rather run a truck tire with 1/2 tread that is not too old than to buy new trailer tires.

Of course my Dad has trailers with 10+ year old G rated tires that are still going down the road.

#16 ·
I agree on the truck tired over an actual trailer specific tire. I went with a steel belt over the bias ply. I had 3 provider brand trailer ores blow in literally 1000 miles from new. I have been looking pretty heavy for some used 10ply truck tires but couldn't find any and got a little pressed to get ready for our Moab trip.

I will look for some 17" wheels for my trailer when they come due again. Very plentiful.

#21 ·
I'm new to the hauling of stuff as heavy as a car/truck. Well done it several times but always with rentals or borrowed trailers. Recently bought my own 14k trailer. Loaded about 5k on good "looking" tires. Blew two of them on the same 200 mile haul home. Luckily the second was within 5 miles of home. Limped it in.

So been pouring over threads all day from all sorts of forums. I learned what china bombs are. And also that the 7k market is just about SOL on a good tire. 350+ tires for a seldom used trailer is crazy. Even then it seems there wasn't much margin in load capacity.

The next option is a 2500$ upgrade to 17.5 wheels and tires.

What are you 7kers doing for tires? Even the LT rout technically doesn't provide the rating needed. Just over 3K.

However from my reading they say the ST tires are rated at their limit and poorly made. LT tires are more conservative. So could a LT, dare I say, be over loaded since they are run at a reduced speed compared to their speed rating.

#23 ·
Mine is an equipment hauler with drive over fenders. Don't have room for that tall of a tire. I have to go with 235 or 245. I read that the shortest 19.5 is 33".

I'm not running near 14k. But I want the ability to run heavy if needed and still have some reserve capacity on the tires just to prevent more blowouts.

#25 ·
I don't want to justify getting the 19.5s although they would be the ticket. If I were doing hotshot stuff then probably

The supposed "china" made tires are probably not that bad. I have a set of unicorn china made tires that came on my toyhauler and I just replaced them late lastyear after about 20k. They were very worn down. Never had an issue once with them at all. These tires handled 13-14k loaded 100% of the time it was pulled. Now a retread china tire?? No thanks. Ill report back when I return home from our trip. Ill have my jk and a tj on it for about 1500 miles so that should be a good test a to if they'll last. If I make this trip with no problems then ill have faith in them.

:beer:

#27 ·
Have run china tires on multiple trailers and never had one blow out. Right now I am running 4 load range e's rated at 2450 per tire and pulling right at 10K total trailer weight. Obviously some is in the hitch weight, but the tires get a workout and so far...so good. beer

I figure them chinamen been stealing our stuff long enough they have just about got it down.

#31 ·
Make that about 11.5K...found out my trailer was a little more of a fat pig than I previously thought. Had to weigh it for registration and turns out 4240 total...so, about 3800 sprung weight plus around 7700 in rigs.

#28 ·
Been talking to some guys here at work that are also farmers or ranchers. They all say buy them cheap ones, thats what we all use. I must of had a string of bad luck. My tires were up to pressure and looked fine and by no means over loaded.

So oh well. I'll get some more STs or LTs this weekend, which ever is avaliable.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.