Texas 4x4 Forum banner

Np241c Mech.to Elect.speedo????????

2K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  4x4Freak 
#1 ·
MY 205 BLEW UP AND I REPLACED IT W/ A 241C.THE 205 WAS MECH. SPEEDO,THE 241C IS ELECTRONIC. HOW DO I MAKE IT WORK.I'M SURE ONE OF YOU NON-TRANSFER CASE CHALLANGED GUYS KNOW.HELP PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! fightte

#2 ·
?

Did you try taking the speedometer drive units out of each transfer case and seeing if they would interchange. I know there are units to convert mechanical speedos to an electrical output but not electrical to mechanical. Hope I am wrong. You might try www.yearone.com

Other than that, many years ago I built an optical sending and receiving unit for an old truck I had to send speed in MPH to a simple electronic speedometer mounted on my dash. Now it is simler to just buy a GPS unit because most of them have a readout for MPH plus you have the GPS unit.

#3 ·
The only way that I know of is to swap the parts off of an early 241 that had the mech. setup. I havent heard of an aftermarket part, but it doesnt mean someone doesnt make one.

The 205 gear will not swap into the 241, neither will one from a 208.

I'm sure you could probably swap in an electronic speedo with a little work.

#4 ·
yeah just find the sending unit from either a 208 or 241 that has the mechanical sender and your in business.

Remington

#6 ·
call up advance adapters and ask them about it, I thought the 208 & 241 were basically the same case????? Maybe some of the early 241 cases have a mech driven speedo. I would call advance adapters to find out for sure.
Or you could just install a later model gauge cluster that has an electronic speedo. But if this is your 89 gmc jimmy you have in your sig, then it came with an electronic speedo from the factory. Either way, you can just swap gauge clusters, thats what I would do.

Remington

#7 ·
The first year or two 241s had the mech. speedo.

You might see if you can get the part from the dealer or possibly a shop that deals in speedometers.

#8 ·
You might also check into the slip yoke eliminator kit, I think they use a mech. speedo. It would be a good upgrade anyway, especially with a 6" lift.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.