Texas 4x4 Forum banner

Heims or Johnny Joints

3K views 14 replies 11 participants last post by  Big4x4ride 
#1 ·
Whats he consensus here for 4 link suspension? I ran 1.25 heims before with 0 issue, because i had them laying around. Now I need to purchase, and I can get into Johnny Joints cheaper than a heim in the same 1.25" flavor. Only downside I see is the 9/16" bolt, but open to any input you guys may have.

#3 ·
I found Johnny joints for $44.87 new for 1.25", add in a $10 bung and it's $55 per setup. A comparable heim with misalignment spacers and bung is about $60. I like the fact tht the JJ are rebuild able though vs heims. Personally have 0 experience with them so in very curious.

Sent from a crappy Autoguide app!

#4 ·
Most of the builds I researched had Johnny joints. I'm trying to make a streetable rig so that's what I went with too.

I haven't seen much comparison one way or the other except for a TTC rig where the guy had rockwells and 55" tires and used the JJ's. He broke them and had to "upgrade" to heims.

#6 ·
I really like how they are holding my axle to my frame on jackstands right now. Other than that, I haven't got any more experience.

What others have said which were all selling points to me was:
They minimize the vibrations (buggies aren't very quite so any little reduction in noise is welcome)
while they will wear down eventually, most heims crapout way too quickly causing squelling and rattling. Sounds like you're driving a dumpster. (again buggies aren't very quite so any little reduction in noise is welcome)
They are greaseable and rebuildable.
Supposedly they have a greater angle than a heim. (I don't see how but that's what they say)

Negatives:
they are rubber so they theoretically are weaker. (after trying to assemble the weld on ones, I'm not too worried about the rubber compound. That stuff is tough.)
They are big which means the brackets are big. and bulky. and in the way of everything. and big

having said all that. so far they have been great for my build and I have no complaints. Maybe one day I'll get to use them and hate on them,but for now, I'm stoked on 'em!

#8 ·
#10 ·
I've been on heims for three years I guess and they are banging and loose already. Then again, I haven't been easy on it either. The slop and banging does get annoying when running down a ranch road between trails.

#11 ·
David, I'm sure Maverick and Fred would be glad to share their experiences. Maybe text 'em? they don't really log on much anymore.

I know that they didn't skimp out and buy cheap ones but I don't know what heims they are running.

You know how they wheel and while they aren't overly abusive on their rigs they definitely wheel the piss out of them.

I know that both of them tore through the Teflon(?) pretty quick and after a season or so they are metal on metal. And that "sounds like a dumpster driving down the road" comment was very appropriately coined by maverick. So much so that this (and the 1 1/4" shanks in my lowers) are what ultimately nudged me into trying them out.

Fred has broken at least one of them. Not sure of the size but I think it was 7/8 shank. (not saying heims are inferior just that he has broken one so to counter the broken JJ comment above)

#12 ·
I've ran a lot of both. Biggest complaint with flex joints is the 9/16th bolt. We put ballistic joints (before the company sucked) on a fj40 buggy. Most are fine but the upper on the front 3 link made it just a couple rides before it crapped out. Replaced with rough stuff 1-1/4. We have a set on a XJ. Always having to tighten them. I have almost a decade on my QA1s. About half are ready for replacements. I was young and dumb when I linked it and used 3/4" for uppers and lowers but they have done well. Am definitely staying with hiems just upping the size

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.