Texas 4x4 Forum banner

10 bolt for Z-71 truck

1K views 19 replies 6 participants last post by  Thumper 
#1 ·
Just what it says. It is for a truck that I am probably gonna buy when we get our tax return. I am not sure on the gears right now....probably 3.42's but cannot be sure at this point. All I really know is that it is a 10 bolt and I think the 4x4's used a wider WMS-WMS than a 4x2...can anyone school me on this?

When I look at it further I might only need a carrier. But for now gonna expect the worst and it would be allot easier to just swap a rear than take apart two and assemble one for the truck.

Thanks

#5 ·
Thumper--thinking back to when I found out that a 2wd 10 bolt is different from a 4wd 10 bolt maybe it was the spring pad width and not the WMS to WMS.

I once had a 97 Z-71 and swapped out the stock 10 bolt for a Dynatrac D60 (before I knew about 14 bolts :rolleyes: ) and gave the rear end to a friend of mine that had a 93 2wd truck. He wanted the rear end for the 3.73 gearing and factory lsd. He tried swapping in the whole axle but it wouldn't work, so he just robbed the center chunk out of mine.

Can't really remeber for sure which it was, sorry for the confusion.

#6 ·
You are confusing me!!!2finger

I know there is something on the width thing......remember when I was selling the SF14 bolt out of the old 3/4 ton (4x2) and a guy wanted it for a Z71.....he said he did not want it cause it was narrower. Like 63" WMS-WMS, he said the 4x4's were more like 67" or something.

I dunno, somebody will chime in with some exact measurements. Thanks Eric!

#18 ·
Well, that is probably what happened to this one then! I am assuming that the axles and such are still good.....I could probably just get a carrier, and the setup bearings and go from there. That would probably be more expensive and also be more work then just swapping a rear in an afternoon!

#19 ·
I just happen to have a spare rear axle out of a very nice 85 Blazer. I understand it was well taken care of. I could sell it to you for a very, very cheap price seeing as to how I will not be running it. :)

Just let me know.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.