help with a trans pick - Texas 4x4 Forum

Go Back   Texas 4x4 Forum > Technical > Gas\Diesel Engine & Transmission

Photo Gallery Places to Wheel Gallery III Home Forum Tech Section IRCChat FlashChat

Gas\Diesel Engine & Transmission Engine, Transmission, Transfer case

Texas4x4.org is the premier All All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Gas\Diesel Engine & Transmission:

help with a trans pick



Reply
 
Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-08-2009, 07:41 PM   #1
newbie
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: houston
Posts: 34
searcy1321 just gettin started
help with a trans pick

ok so long store short i finely got my rock crawler back with me. it was sitting back home in port aransas tx. everything is trash rusted which i am not surprised. so u am junking everything but my tires and t-case's

my new setup i will be running

ls motor w/ cam, intake, and headers
trans ?
dual toyota t-cases w/ 23 spline input and 30 output
unimog 404 axles

more info: overdrive is not a big deal i cant go over 55 in these axles anyways and these are the only gm trans that will mate up to a toyota t-case from aa

th350
4l60E


with two i can pick from and my best bet is the 4l60E because i can get it with the ls motor and upgrade when i need to

so what do u yall think have i done good homework
searcy1321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 05-09-2009, 08:25 AM   #2
Trail guide
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Austin
Posts: 331
Nooner is a jewel in the roughNooner is a jewel in the roughNooner is a jewel in the rough
why do you need OD with 'mogs?


I'd go th350 or better yet th400, both should be cheaper than a 4l60 if you don't need OD.


Sounds like you haven't found your motor yet, be careful when you buy - things can get nickle and dimey really fast, the three things you need most but people pull off are the front set of o2 sensors, and the MAF sensor from the airbox. You could get away without the o2 sensors(but the motor will run like ****), but you gotta run the MAF sensor.


Good Luck!
Nooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 06:37 PM   #3
newbie
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: houston
Posts: 34
searcy1321 just gettin started
Quote:
Originally Posted by searcy1321 View Post
ok so long store short i finely got my rock crawler back with me. it was sitting back home in port aransas tx. everything is trash rusted which i am not surprised. so u am junking everything but my tires and t-case's

my new setup i will be running

ls motor w/ cam, intake, and headers
trans ?
dual toyota t-cases w/ 23 spline input and 30 output
unimog 404 axles

more info: overdrive is not a big deal i cant go over 55 in these axles anyways and these are the only gm trans that will mate up to a toyota t-case from aa

th350
4l60E


with two i can pick from and my best bet is the 4l60E because i can get it with the ls motor and upgrade when i need to

so what do u yall think have i done good homework
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nooner View Post
why do you need OD with 'mogs?


I'd go th350 or better yet th400, both should be cheaper than a 4l60 if you don't need OD.


Sounds like you haven't found your motor yet, be careful when you buy - things can get nickle and dimey really fast, the three things you need most but people pull off are the front set of o2 sensors, and the MAF sensor from the airbox. You could get away without the o2 sensors(but the motor will run like ****), but you gotta run the MAF sensor.


Good Luck!
ok thank u and thanks for the heads up on the maf a and sensors but i know that.
the only reason i would be getting the od trans because that what comes with the ls motor.
if its a good price it will be a hole package
no reason not to get both with both harnesses for the right price

Last edited by searcy1321; 05-09-2009 at 06:45 PM..
searcy1321 is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Old 05-10-2009, 05:30 AM   #4
camel humper
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Rosebud, Tx. / Baghdad, Iraq
Posts: 1,920
dragoonranch Surfs Venus with Anubisdragoonranch Surfs Venus with Anubisdragoonranch Surfs Venus with Anubisdragoonranch Surfs Venus with Anubisdragoonranch Surfs Venus with Anubisdragoonranch Surfs Venus with Anubisdragoonranch Surfs Venus with Anubisdragoonranch Surfs Venus with Anubisdragoonranch Surfs Venus with Anubisdragoonranch Surfs Venus with Anubisdragoonranch Surfs Venus with Anubis
Seems the 4l60e would require less electronic manipulation to get it to run correctly. I don't know anything about this mess, that's why I stuck with my propane and sm465.
__________________
Ed ( Sultan of Sand )
'78 Chevy Big-30

https://www.amsoil.com/dealer/websit.../atvbanner.gif

Click here to check out our online store.
AMSOIL Your last stop for all your Automotive Synthetic Lubricant needs.
Please PM me for quotes or questions.

Click here for places to wheel in Texas
dragoonranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 06:59 AM   #5
Trail guide
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Austin
Posts: 331
Nooner is a jewel in the roughNooner is a jewel in the roughNooner is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragoonranch View Post
Seems the 4l60e would require less electronic manipulation to get it to run correctly. I don't know anything about this mess, that's why I stuck with my propane and sm465.
not really

a 4l60 will go behind a 5.3 with relatively little muss and fuss, but if he is using a LSx from a vette, f-body, etc he won't be guaranteed anything. If he is using a 6.0 a 4l80 would be the easier bolt in.

Generally speaking the th350, 400 and 700r4 are easier bolt-ins, you just tell the computer there is a manual tranny behind the motor and you are good to go. I might yet be converting my 4l80(behind an all aluminum truck 5.3) to manual valvebody and doing the same thing.
Nooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 08:01 AM   #6
camel humper
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Rosebud, Tx. / Baghdad, Iraq
Posts: 1,920
dragoonranch Surfs Venus with Anubisdragoonranch Surfs Venus with Anubisdragoonranch Surfs Venus with Anubisdragoonranch Surfs Venus with Anubisdragoonranch Surfs Venus with Anubisdragoonranch Surfs Venus with Anubisdragoonranch Surfs Venus with Anubisdragoonranch Surfs Venus with Anubisdragoonranch Surfs Venus with Anubisdragoonranch Surfs Venus with Anubisdragoonranch Surfs Venus with Anubis
Quote:
Originally Posted by searcy1321 View Post
with two i can pick from and my best bet is the 4l60E because i can get it with the ls motor and upgrade when i need to
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nooner View Post
not really

a 4l60 will go behind a 5.3 with relatively little muss and fuss, but if he is using a LSx from a vette, f-body, etc he won't be guaranteed anything. If he is using a 6.0 a 4l80 would be the easier bolt in.

Generally speaking the th350, 400 and 700r4 are easier bolt-ins, you just tell the computer there is a manual tranny behind the motor and you are good to go. I might yet be converting my 4l80(behind an all aluminum truck 5.3) to manual valvebody and doing the same thing.
I just figured he was going to get them as a 'set' and everything to go along with it. Thus, negating the need to get them synched together.
__________________
Ed ( Sultan of Sand )
'78 Chevy Big-30

https://www.amsoil.com/dealer/websit.../atvbanner.gif

Click here to check out our online store.
AMSOIL Your last stop for all your Automotive Synthetic Lubricant needs.
Please PM me for quotes or questions.

Click here for places to wheel in Texas
dragoonranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 08:19 PM   #7
newbie
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: houston
Posts: 34
searcy1321 just gettin started
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragoonranch View Post
I just figured he was going to get them as a 'set' and everything to go along with it. Thus, negating the need to get them synched together.
right a turnkey setup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nooner View Post
not really

a 4l60 will go behind a 5.3 with relatively little muss and fuss, but if he is using a LSx from a vette, f-body, etc he won't be guaranteed anything. If he is using a 6.0 a 4l80 would be the easier bolt in.

Generally speaking the th350, 400 and 700r4 are easier bolt-ins, you just tell the computer there is a manual tranny behind the motor and you are good to go. I might yet be converting my 4l80(behind an all aluminum truck 5.3) to manual valvebody and doing the same thing.

ls1 vs ls2 is about 2500 i think i will stay with a 5.7 ls1
searcy1321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 11:41 AM   #8
Flex Master
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Montgomery,TX
Posts: 1,332
RamRock RamRock RamRock RamRock RamRock RamRock RamRock RamRock
You should be abell to bolt up to a yota t-case to a th350 or tb400 or a 700r4.
You think the t-case well handle that much motor. Even up-grading the t-cases inputs and outputs..
__________________
____________________________
01 RAM 24v Krawlerhauler
97 RAM 4x4 7'in 318/nv4500/231hd
85 Truggy 42"s, Rockwell's, 4.3-th350-Doubler
Pics Link
Texasoffroad.net/galleries/lonestar/RAMROCK
RamRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 06:10 PM   #9
Trail guide
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Austin
Posts: 331
Nooner is a jewel in the roughNooner is a jewel in the roughNooner is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by searcy1321 View Post
right a turnkey setup




ls1 vs ls2 is about 2500 i think i will stay with a 5.7 ls1
personally I would (and did) go with a truck motor. Check out ls1tech.com and their sister site performancetrucks.net for good swap info.

Personally I grabbed a L33 - the junkyard didn't even know there was anything different between the L33 and a run of the mill LM7, so I got an Aluminum Block Truck Motor with Truck accessories, Corvette Heads and an upgraded Cam for the same price as any other 5.3 - and when the time comes to rebuild/upgrade I can bore it out to 5.7 and basically have a LS6 for a fraction of the price. But more power to ya if you have the coin for a 'turnkey setup'
Nooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 10:31 PM   #10
newbie
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: houston
Posts: 34
searcy1321 just gettin started
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamRock View Post
You should be abell to bolt up to a yota t-case to a th350 or tb400 or a 700r4.
You think the t-case well handle that much motor. Even up-grading the t-cases inputs and outputs..
Quote:
Originally Posted by searcy1321 View Post
ok so long store short i finely got my rock crawler back with me. it was sitting back home in port aransas tx. everything is trash rusted which i am not surprised. so u am junking everything but my tires and t-case's

my new setup i will be running

ls motor w/ cam, intake, and headers
trans ?
dual toyota t-cases w/ 23 spline input and 30 output
unimog 404 axles

more info: overdrive is not a big deal i cant go over 55 in these axles anyways and these are the only gm trans that will mate up to a toyota t-case from aa

th350
4l60E


with two i can pick from and my best bet is the 4l60E because i can get it with the ls motor and upgrade when i need to

so what do u yall think have i done good homework
yes u can with the other trans but i am just going to get the whole setup in one

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nooner View Post
personally I would (and did) go with a truck motor. Check out ls1tech.com and their sister site performancetrucks.net for good swap info.

Personally I grabbed a L33 - the junkyard didn't even know there was anything different between the L33 and a run of the mill LM7, so I got an Aluminum Block Truck Motor with Truck accessories, Corvette Heads and an upgraded Cam for the same price as any other 5.3 - and when the time comes to rebuild/upgrade I can bore it out to 5.7 and basically have a LS6 for a fraction of the price. But more power to ya if you have the coin for a 'turnkey setup'
well i can get a good turnkey for a good price 1800 and your comparing vortec to an ls its has diff heads and intake manifold. but hey to each there own but good motor.
searcy1321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 06:35 AM   #11
Trail guide
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Austin
Posts: 331
Nooner is a jewel in the roughNooner is a jewel in the roughNooner is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by searcy1321 View Post
yes u can with the other trans but i am just going to get the whole setup in one



well i can get a good turnkey for a good price 1800 and your comparing vortec to an ls its has diff heads and intake manifold. but hey to each there own but good motor.
a high mileage F-Body LS1 motor, trans, computer and wiring harness from a junkyard is not exactly what I would call turnkey!!! lol

For your $1800 I would buy a low mile 6.0/TH400 all day long and have a far superior setup to any Camaro/TA motor.

Also might wanna check your info on heads. Different motors have different heads - in my case my motor has 799 heads(same as 243 save the springs) - which are the same as those found on the C5 Z06 The 853/241 Heads on F-Bodies are far inferior. There is lots of info out there. Heads are not why the LS1's outperform truck motors.

As for intake manifold, Hotrod Magazine and a number of other Dyno tests have proven that the Truck Intake is superior to the LS1 intake and only marginally inferior (read < 1&#37; loss of HP) to the LS6 intake, with perhaps a better curve for 1/8 drag racing and Rock Crawling, torque numbers are pretty much identical.

I'm not speculating - there is NO reputable manufacturer who can give you a 'turnkey' Gen III anything combo over 4.8L for under $2,000. Turnkey means all you have to do is hook up a battery and wire in a starter switch and you are good to go. That ain't gonna happen with an LS1/6 tranny package for $1,800. If you are buying just a Motor we are back to your original question regarding the tranny and no combo deal for a 4L60E.

My final advice to you is this: no matter what you do, your engine will overpower the rest of your running gear, why spend the high dollars for an LS1 when a 4.8/5.3/6.0 truck motor will do the same thing for less coin and have far less wear and tear? Vanity? Doesn't make sense to me...

Good Luck!

(ps. you might actually get a combo deal on a truck motor/4wd tranny from a junkyard... but again, not turnkey)
Nooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 03:17 AM   #12
newbie
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: houston
Posts: 34
searcy1321 just gettin started
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nooner View Post
a high mileage F-Body LS1 motor, trans, computer and wiring harness from a junkyard is not exactly what I would call turnkey!!! lol

For your $1800 I would buy a low mile 6.0/TH400 all day long and have a far superior setup to any Camaro/TA motor.

Also might wanna check your info on heads. Different motors have different heads - in my case my motor has 799 heads(same as 243 save the springs) - which are the same as those found on the C5 Z06 The 853/241 Heads on F-Bodies are far inferior. There is lots of info out there. Heads are not why the LS1's outperform truck motors.

As for intake manifold, Hotrod Magazine and a number of other Dyno tests have proven that the Truck Intake is superior to the LS1 intake and only marginally inferior (read < 1% loss of HP) to the LS6 intake, with perhaps a better curve for 1/8 drag racing and Rock Crawling, torque numbers are pretty much identical.

I'm not speculating - there is NO reputable manufacturer who can give you a 'turnkey' Gen III anything combo over 4.8L for under $2,000. Turnkey means all you have to do is hook up a battery and wire in a starter switch and you are good to go. That ain't gonna happen with an LS1/6 tranny package for $1,800. If you are buying just a Motor we are back to your original question regarding the tranny and no combo deal for a 4L60E.

My final advice to you is this: no matter what you do, your engine will overpower the rest of your running gear, why spend the high dollars for an LS1 when a 4.8/5.3/6.0 truck motor will do the same thing for less coin and have far less wear and tear? Vanity? Doesn't make sense to me...

Good Luck!

(ps. you might actually get a combo deal on a truck motor/4wd tranny from a junkyard... but again, not turnkey)
well thank u for your info i have read up on what u where talking about and i told my friend i didnt want his ls1 setup. ok

ok but i do not want a cast block and all i see is cast blocks
searcy1321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 03:41 AM   #13
newbie
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: houston
Posts: 34
searcy1321 just gettin started
L76
See also the automotive L76
The Vortec 6000 L76 is a Generation IV aluminum small block V8 truck engine and features variable cam phasing, along with Active Fuel Management. It can be considered the replacement for the Generation III LQ9 engine. It produces 367 hp (265 kW) at 5400 rpm and 375 ftlb (495 Nm) at 4400 rpm. Production started in late 2006.
L76 applications:
2007-present Chevrolet Suburban
2007-present Chevrolet Avalanche
2007-present Chevrolet Silverado
2007-present GMC Sierra
2007-present GMC Yukon XL

i found this but i bet its going to be hard one like this for a good price right?
searcy1321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 06:45 AM   #14
Trail guide
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Austin
Posts: 331
Nooner is a jewel in the roughNooner is a jewel in the roughNooner is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by searcy1321 View Post
L76
See also the automotive L76
The Vortec 6000 L76 is a Generation IV aluminum small block V8 truck engine and features variable cam phasing, along with Active Fuel Management. It can be considered the replacement for the Generation III LQ9 engine. It produces 367 hp (265 kW) at 5400 rpm and 375 ftlb (495 Nm) at 4400 rpm. Production started in late 2006.
L76 applications:
2007-present Chevrolet Suburban
2007-present Chevrolet Avalanche
2007-present Chevrolet Silverado
2007-present GMC Sierra
2007-present GMC Yukon XL

i found this but i bet its going to be hard one like this for a good price right?
I did a quick search on car-part.com for 2007 Avalanche Engines and it looks like prices on the 6.0 Engines are in the $1000-2000 neighborhood - I'd think that $1800 with computer, accessories and harness is possible, you might run into a roadblock trying to fit a 4WD trans into the package for that price though.

I haven't really read up on Gen IV swaps - I think they might be harder (read: costlier) to computer control, but I really can't state that as fact because I just don't know. I'd give Justin at Current Performance Wiring a call. He won't steer you wrong whether you decide to go Gen III or Gen IV. http://www.currentperformance.com/index.html

Good Luck!
Nooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
trans out of 86 xj into an 87 easye Gas\Diesel Engine & Transmission 0 04-01-2009 01:26 PM
Removing Trans 465 and clutch Micron Gas\Diesel Engine & Transmission 5 03-16-2006 10:27 PM
WTB th350 4x4 trans LEPER Wanted 1 02-12-2006 10:33 AM


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:52 AM.


3.8.8 - Powered by vBulletin
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 2002-2012 Texas4x4.org
 

SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0