Texas 4x4 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Me and cody messed with the truck some this evening. Found some numbers on the block and it appears that it's a 74 Canadian 350 with 882 heads. We took it around the block a few times and got the carb cleaned out. It runs pretty good now, but still not much power.

I poured about 4 qts of fluid in the tranny before it was full. I dont know how it was even working before. Back brakes arent working and I discovered a leak in one of the hard lines. The fan clutch is locked up and the belt definitely needs to be replaced.

·
Registered
4,152 Posts
what are the plans Zach?

·
Premium Member
6,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am basically going to go through the whole thing and freshen everything up, new bearings, seals, gaskets, etc. I might drop the 350 out of the K10 in it depending on what kind of shape this one is in. I want to lift the front a couple inches to get it off the bumpstops and to clear some 33s or 285s. I plan to stay with the red color when I paint it.

It also needs new ujoints for sure. They were screaming when I drove it earlier.

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
And no i didn't do the dash!! it runs pretty good but little stuff needs to be taken care of before final decision. that front plate on the engine was throwing me off cause i am use to the short plate not the wide plate!! canada!!

·
Premium Member
6,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
I worked on the truck all day and made a little progress. I got most of the AC ducting put back in, got the tach gauge cluster hooked up and all the gauges working, fixed the turn signal cam, and made a mod to the dash.

There were some old running boards in the bed and the old insert was in bad shape and didnt match the truck, so I decided to make a new insert for the dash pad. It's not exactly straight since all I had to cut it out with were the sawzall and grinder, but it's a huge improvement over the old insert.

I also got the tranny kickdown wire hooked back up and fixed the little bracket for the vent damper. I cut a thin strip of sheet metal, bent the end of it so that it hooked in one side. Then I just bent it around the plastic piece and screwed the other end. It worked out better this way than building a whole new bracket like I did on the K10. Apparently this a common piece to break, this is the third one that I have seen.

·
Premium Member
6,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks, my hand didnt think so(see safety tip post). lol

I got the gauge cluster mounted today and got the ignition lock cylinder put in so I dont have to use pliers to start it now. I didnt have much luck with the tach though. As I was cleaning it I broke the needle. I tried to glue it back together, but it just kept breaking into smaller pieces. I tried using one off another speedo. but it doesnt fit. :(

I also noticed that the rear ujoint is shot and possibly the pinion bearing as well, the pinion has some slop in it.

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
I used a tooth pick once for the speedometer needle. Painted it florecent orange and glued it to the needle base. It was still working when I sold the car.

·
Premium Member
6,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
That's the problem, the base is the part that broke.

·
Mas Tequila
18,252 Posts
looking good... thumbup

·
Premium Member
6,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Been thinking about it.

·
Premium Member
6,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
I swapped out the grill yesterday. I dont much care for the chrome grills, but it looks much better than the one that was on it.

I also noticed that the driver's side headlight bezel is bent up. I think I may have another one laying around somewhere. Also need to build some braces for the hood so that it doesnt get kinked any more.

·
Registered
5,743 Posts
First time I've seen this. Is this a 4x4?

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.