Texas 4x4 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The transmission in my 89 Blazer is toast, and I have been looking to find a cheap replacement for it. I found a fully built one for $900, but it has a reverse manual valve body in it. Can it be easily switched out with the stock one in my trans, or is there something I am not thinking of? I want to take it out because I wouldn't be able to run the stock column shifter, the seat and center console set up I am about to put in would most likely interfere with a floor shifter and I'd rather not have a floor shifter. This truck is mostly street driven, although it will be driven tough, which is why I like the fact it is a built trans. I need help in all aspects of this thing, I know nothing about the 700R4 transmissions, and I know nothing about RMVB's as well. Please help with any advise and insight you can.

·
Registered
11,141 Posts
If you pull it out, let me know how much you want for the valve body.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Still need to know if I can even do it, otherwise I probably won't buy the trans and I'll just end up getting mine rebuilt

·
Premium Member
6,117 Posts
Should be able to swap it back over. I would recommend doing a shift kit at the same time, it will come with instructions. Not a hard job if you know how to use a wrench, just need to keep it very clean and dont use rags or towels to wipe it off.

·
Registered
3,663 Posts
Buy the trans (put your valve body in it and enjoy). You got to know someone that could help you with the swap?? Before you buy it give Monster Trans a call and ask about one of there monster kits lots of upgrade that will make you 700 bullet proof. They send everything you need and instructions. Stacy's Gears on TV just did a build like your talking about maybe you could go on line and look at the episode??

·
Registered
913 Posts
you can run the stock column shifter with a manual valve body...it just would be
P-R-N-1-2-3-OD.

·
Registered
263 Posts
700r4s came with 3 different valve bodies over the years, they don't all interchange.

You need to know what year the new transmission is, 82-87, 87-89, 89-93.

87-93 will interchange, pre 87 valvebodies won't swap. The transmission cases are different.

$900 and you still have to swap the valve body? I would pass on that one, you should be able to find a totally rebuilt transmission and torque converter that will be a direct swap for less than $600 at any transmission rebuilder.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
700r4s came with 3 different valve bodies over the years, they don't all interchange.

You need to know what year the new transmission is, 82-87, 87-89, 89-93.

87-93 will interchange, pre 87 valvebodies won't swap. The transmission cases are different.

$900 and you still have to swap the valve body? I would pass on that one, you should be able to find a totally rebuilt transmission and torque converter that will be a direct swap for less than $600 at any transmission rebuilder.
Wow, didn't think about all that. It's $900 bucks but from what I understand it's a fully built maniac of a transmission, but I had no idea I could get something for as little as $600. I guess I need to start looking at different places.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts