3K views 18 replies 6 participants last post by  Rastus 
#1 ·
What I knew before I committed to it:

Rolled on I-635 when another car hit a stalled car, then careened into the Jeep
200k+ miles, daily driver before the wreck
4.0, 5sp, t-case cracked in two
9" rear w/discs, 4.88, Detroit
D30 front, 4.88, Detroit
spring over + 2.5" Skyjacker lift springs (lt front now broken, rt ft messed up)
35" mud radials (not much tread left), chrome wheels
Fixed rear output on the t-case (JKS SYE kit)
Windshield t oast, rollbar tweaked
Hood still opens and closes properly
Driver hard door opens and closes, passenger does not

What I've learned/surmised since getting it home:
It's a Sahara (I never paid attention, didn't know it mattered)
Nice seats in amazingly good shape
AM/FM cassette
Air conditioning is all there (we'll see if it works)
A transfer case and a pair of front leafs, and this baby is ready for the trail (assuming it still runs).
Rear 9" is a high pinion
Front D30 is a high pinion

Heims on all the steering, high steer mount for the drag link (above leaf spring)
Right front wheel ain't bent (it's the only one I've spun so far)
Left front tire has a huge gash (from the wreck I'm sure)
Greasable shackles
Winch mount w/hawse fairlead (no winch...I ain't that lucky)
48" high lift (slightly bent but I think I can straighten it)

I feared a majorly tweaked frame and a possible busted trans, which is why I didn't buy this at first sight to build my next trail rig. The nuked t-case made me think this baby went through some serious contortions for that to have happenned. [Putting on crash investigator hat] Here's what I think really happenned in the wreck:

Jeep nosed down hard or hit something hard dead-on the left front tire [broken driver front leaf]. When the spring broke, the front shackle pivoted and let the axle move waaay back, bottoming the driveshaft slip and still needing more room to move [t-case popped in half]. Trans mount and bellypan appear unharmed and unmoved. There's too many things in the way for me to pull a tape diagonally and see if the frame measures out okay. To my untrained eye, it does not appear to have frame damage, but it sits low on the broken spring corner, making it difficult to be sure.

So now I'm thinking: make sure the engine still runs, find a used NP231, put Jersey's stock running gear under the parts Jeep, and sell it as an [inexpensive] RUNNING project beginning. I'll have to buy a pair of 2.5" leafs (for Jersey).

See less See more
#5 ·
SCORE! Pulled one rear axle. That is one large (diameter) axle shaft and
35 SPLINE TO BOOT!

Gear oil looks new (and overfilled; I guess because the pinion angle is turned up, raising the fill plug on the chunk).

#9 ·
I got the motor started tonight. Smooth idle, 50 psi at start up, 38 lbs of oil pressure at idle after full warm up. Some hesitation when I mash the gas...could be bad gas (it's been sitting for maybe 6 months). Smoke/oil burning off of engine; can't tell if it's build up from years of driving or spilled from the rollover. 206, 805 miles on it. Took less than 30 seconds of cranking to get it fired up; didn't quit til I turned it off. Instant re-start with warmed up engine. Key won't crank it (fuse?); remote starter did the trick.

I remember the PO saying "usual Jeep oil leaks" whatever that means.

AC blower/fan is shot (awful noise; barely turning). Compressor comes on and stays on with no noise (onboard air is in my future I reckon).

#12 ·
you just need the case halves, right??

#14 ·
I can swap your parts from old to new in an hour or so... We might have some case 1\2's laying round or maybe some of them guys up there have some....

#17 ·
I'm pretty sure I have a back half... let me see what I can find...... I'll know by 2morrow..

#18 ·
Rastus said:
I'm pretty sure I have a back half... let me see what I can find...... I'll know by 2morrow..
I appreciate it, really. But I need to take a chill pill and relax 'til Jersey gets in town. I found a temporary home for "Party" so the pressure is off for me to strip it and move it before Jersey get's here.

#19 ·
oke doke

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.