Texas 4x4 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently found a 1979 Bronco that had been sitting since 2002, the kid that owned it did not know what was wrong with it. I figured that it would be a great first truck for my 8 yr. old, Chase. By the time he's of age to drive it , we ought to be able to cherry it out, making it into one of the nicest rigs in the High School parking lot! Meanwhile while building it, I hope to teach him something about mechanics, paint & bodywork, and hopefully some responsibility as well!

I confess, I did have a little insider information on the Bronco before i bought it. It had belonged to one of my best friends, the same guy that I bought Old Blue (which evolved into SuperBronco) from owned this Bronco and had built and installed the .030 over 400 cid just before he sold it in 2001. It had been his pride and joy before selling it to purchase his '97 Ford f350. The kid that bought it drove it roughly a year before he decided to tune it up, got in over his head, and the truck just sat in his garage for the next 3 years before my son and I picked her up. Interesting enough, the hard top residing on it came from the Bronco I salvaged for the SuperBronco Project.

I'll be creating a gallery soon and post pics of our progress.

·
Mas Tequila
18,256 Posts
Kool deal thumbup this will be a fun buildup :)

·
Premium Member
4,401 Posts
Sweet! I am in search for another 78/79 Bronco as well.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
TX_ZUKI said:
Sweet! I am in search for another 78/79 Bronco as well.
LOL, I know your Zuki's sweet, but on the other hand, once you've had a Bronco, nothing else quite comes close! I didn't figure you'd be Bronco-less for long!
As for the SuperBronco-Jr. Project as my son has named it, we got her running yesterday! Sounds great, carb's a little gummed-up so I'll be pulling it soon. He's kinda mad at me because I won't put the spare set of 40's I have on it!

·
Premium Member
4,401 Posts
trey aka superbronco said:
LOL, I know your Zuki's sweet, but on the other hand, once you've had a Bronco, nothing else quite comes close! I didn't figure you'd be Bronco-less for long!
As for the SuperBronco-Jr. Project as my son has named it, we got her running yesterday! Sounds great, carb's a little gummed-up so I'll be pulling it soon. He's kinda mad at me because I won't put the spare set of 40's I have on it!
LOL! You are so right, your son sounds really excited. Tell him this for us.
thispicis

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Yeah he is, he's been on my case to get some pics uploaded.

·
Mas Tequila
18,256 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,819 Posts
Looks like a clean Bronco from the pics.:cool:

·
Premium Member
4,401 Posts
Very nice, looks like Paul's from project bronco. Is this going to be a daily driver or trail rig?

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
TX_ZUKI said:
Very nice, looks like Paul's from project bronco. Is this going to be a daily driver or trail rig?
This is where we differ, I'm trying to talk him into a semi-restoration with 35" tires and a 4" lift and doing a class job where he can start showing it when he gets finished. It's in very good shape and will be 32 yrs old when he's able to drive it.
He'd like to make it into a rig similar to Superbronco and wheel it. We'll have to see how it goes and if I have to pull rank on him! Geez I'm starting to sound like my father now! fightte

·
I've met Johnny Cash
2,207 Posts
I really admire the idea you have for working with your son on it. I think those are so important--teaching our boys the pride of making something with their hands and the special relationship with Dad along the way.

You will go much farther than so many parents by doing this simple thing to help your son be responsible when he starts driving--his pride in the truck and his work in it.

toast toast

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
xanthias said:
I really admire the idea you have for working with your son on it. I think those are so important--teaching our boys the pride of making something with their hands and the special relationship with Dad along the way.

You will go much farther than so many parents by doing this simple thing to help your son be responsible when he starts driving--his pride in the truck and his work in it.

toast toast
Thanks Xanthias, I remember my Dad helping me with my first truck (67 Chevy, 6cyl, SWB) and how he insisted that I buy a manual and learn how to do everything on the truck myself. We rebuilt the 250 six in the living room floor of our apartment, he was divorced and no women in the house of course. That led to a paint & body class at school and mechanics classes as well. Those lessons were invaluable with my chosen career and my love for the 4-wheeling hobby. I only wished he had pushed me to keep that first truck! My memories of it and the times we spent working on it are some of the fondest of my teenage yrs. :evilbat:

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
A few more pics of the Bronco and its proud 4x4 owner!

·
Mas Tequila
18,256 Posts
bigok Yeah!! that's what it's all about bigok

1 - 16 of 16 Posts