Texas 4x4 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just driving along and minding my own business and not being hard on the Dawg when all of a sudden i heard this nasty noise coming from the front right side of my truck, seeing as how i just put my springs on last night i was quiet conserned i was fixin to loose the fornt axle. i was almost home (about a block away) and so i got to the house and started lookin. what did i find? nothing. so i jacked up the front end on the passenger side and what did i find? the whole rotor and hub was loose.......so i took the tire off, took the hub cap off, and what did i find in there?

outer bearing:

so ummm, yeah i found out what causeing the noise, it come out just like that too. little bearings all inside the hub lol. oh well.....10 bucks for a new bearing and some grease. inner bearing was fine. i will be pulling the driver side off shortly just to check and make sure.

see what happens when you buy an axle someone else put together and you trust them alittle to much!

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
hmmm

Adds new meaning to "Trust but verify". Glad you got it before the whole wheel fell off.

·
Premium Member
10,819 Posts
That could have been a FUBAR situation for sure. fightte

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yeah when i took it out, the actual bearing pieces were still in there but not for long, glad i checked when i heard it and not "let it knock till it breaks" or "wheel it till it breaks" cause that could've led to some major disaster.....

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
can't be scared all your life lol

anyways, it only cost me a few bucks and a few hours of my time today working on my rig, like we dont all like doing that anyways lol

·
Registered
3,552 Posts
I had that same problem on my 85 k5. I was comming home from Galveston Beach and about 10 miles from home I was in the middle lane of I 45 doing about 70 and all of the sudden the truck jerked right taking me into the slow lane nearly cutting off the read end of an old ladies car. I was pulled off the freeway at the exit ramp just at the right time. I was able to baby it home because I couldn't see any problems either. Of course the wife was sitting in the passenger seat and swore she would NEVER ride in my toy again after that. Always lots of fun to find out the hard way.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts