Texas 4x4 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A couple weeks ago I had a run in with the back of a Dodge. It scratched the bumper and bent a fender. spankn After swaping new wheels I had had a very slight vibration in the front end. I had the tires rotated and balanced again Tue. and it has become a nasty shimy at 44-52 MPH. I can find nothing loose,bent, or missing so far. Any odd ball things I'm might check before going to an alignment shop? above or below the above mentioned speeds it is un-noticeable. screwey

·
Registered
49 Posts
shimmy

i have a nasty death wobble on my unlimited from 45-55 it started after about 3000 miles on my 4" procomp lift...the alignment shop couldnt get rid of all of it even after putting special cam bolts in lower arms(they said i had too much angle)....i had my tires balanced(didnt help)....one thing i did was tighten the trac-bar that made a difference before all this it shook so bad i thought the front end was gonna come out from under the jeep....good luck to you with this problem..i was told to put back on my stock pitman arm, so thats next on my list to try

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'll have to check that, I've got about 22.5k on the Jeep. It might be a good excuse to go thru and retighten everything.

·
Premium Member
6,117 Posts
Check your tie rod ends, etc. If one of the tires hit it may have knocked one of them loose.

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
checking

Mark,
Have you gotten it onto a concrete slab and put it up on jack stands and then started with one tire and grabbed it at the 12 oclock and 6 oclock positions and tried to shake it while having a helper look at the tie rods like Zach suggested the look at the bolts and the frame where the steering gearbox bolts to the frame, look at the pitmnan arm and draglink too and you can get a good handle on the wheelbearings while doing this too. Then do the same while grabbing the tire at the 3 oclock and 9 oclock? Maybe something has cracked and you or the helper will be able to see it as you stress the steering gear? Hope you find it because this sounds dangerous or like it could become so. Good luck.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
chrfal Well this is truly bizzare. I went down and had the tires rebalanced and it almost completely disaspeared. then after about 60 miles it was back again, though not as bad. when the jacked it up the jacks were under the axles, one on each corner. there must be something about the procedure that is connected, I'm just not able to pinpoint it. it's like when they jack it up, they are moving something back into place. it doesn't pull to either side at any speed, and still only happens between 42-50 now. PS. Harbor freight has a good deal on cheap floor jacks.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.