Texas 4x4 Forum banner

Anyone Had a Shop Built Recently?

2K views 20 replies 10 participants last post by  TAWL_BOY 
#1 ·
I'm in the process of selling my home in Northwest Houston and looking to buy or build on 1/2 an acre to an acre in Friendswood.

My wife works in that area now and most of the flying work I'm getting into is closer to that part of town.

I'm trying to factor in the cost of a steel garage/shop into our budget.

I'm thinking I'd like a 30'x45' building give or take put up and I wanted to see what company's ya'll had gone with and advice...things you wish you would've done different or thought about when figuring out your build.

Plus I'm trying to get an idea of what the slab will run me. I might want it a little larger than the building to have a front overhang or side.

The actual building will depend on the yard layout I end up with.

Thanks,
Derek

#3 ·
Derek, my dads has been up for about 2yrs. He ordered his kit out of Houston. It's 40x80. These prices estimated
Slab/finish $8000 (6" thicker where his two post is)
Building $15-16k delivered (that's all metal including 2 roll up doors and one walk in with roof vents.
$5k Misc like electrical and air plumbing as well as shop assembly

#5 ·
I'm into mine @ about 45K.

It's a mueller kit with a 15' awning/shed on one side. Size is a 30x50 (roof and walls insulated) with a 4' walk door and two 12x10 sectional doors on each end. That price includes the dirt work/slab, building from mueller, labor to have the building put up, wired with 220, 2 12x10 garage type doors and the material to put interior walls ( I did that part myself).

Only thing I would have done different is build it bigger(both size and height wish I had 14' eves instead of 12'), but the HOA in my neighborhood has a max square footage on out buildings of 1500 square foot, got a little extra with the awning though.

Here is a link to my thread on it with pics of the shop.
http://www.texas4x4.org/general-chit-chat-28/finally-shop-35809/

#6 ·
I have built two shops myself and the second one is layed out much differently. I did a 30x40 building with two roll up doors in the long side and a 25x40 covered parking/work area that those doors open up to. The shade is so nice to work under. I do as much there as in the shop itself. It was 10K for the steel, 5k for slab, and 2k for foam insulation. I built and wired it myself and had about $600 in wiring materials from homer depot.

#14 · (Edited)
That is almost exactly the same as my parents shop that I work in all the time. Doors in the sidewalls are nice. Especially if you do them on both side walls, then you can get a breeze flowing through the shop. Also, the awning is very nice like you said. Very user friendly design

What if you just had the steel building built tall enough and with plumbing for a crapper shower, and then frame out your second story living quarters without going the "traditional" route?

The plan was to keep the living space to a small bedroom with small bathroom, and then have a larger game room.
Then the house would be built with a small living room, and the shop are would be where guests could stay, party room, or possibly rent it out.
When I build my own, I will be doing very similar to this. I have a list of things I want to change/do differently than my parents shop (been working out of it for about 6 years on different projects). My shop will look like:

60x70 Slab
40x70 Building divided into
  • 20x40 living space
  • 40x50 shop space
20x40 Awning off of one side wall
Doors in side walls
14-16foot side walls
Roof with enough pitch to have a loft in living area for 2 beds and dresser/small closet

Doing it this way would give me about 900-1000sqft of living space that I could live in for a while, then build a house. Then turn it into my man cave, in my shop. I would go as big on the shop as you can afford because you will always manage to fill it up

#13 ·
What if you just had the steel building built tall enough and with plumbing for a crapper shower, and then frame out your second story living quarters without going the "traditional" route?

The plan was to keep the living space to a small bedroom with small bathroom, and then have a larger game room.
Then the house would be built with a small living room, and the shop are would be where guests could stay, party room, or possibly rent it out.

#15 ·
OK. I found a house we like on an acre and it looks like they'll be no problems putting a steel building up.

I'm looking to do the biggest thing I can do for around $20k including slab,wiring, and erection(hee hee). It's in Galveston County so it will need to be wind rated.

I'm waiting on a quote from Whirlwind Steel for a 30x40 with two 12x12 doors insulated.

Is there any other steel building companies ya'll would recommend? Or other advice and suggestions.

I'll probably add awnings to both sides in the future.

#17 ·
Rough idea of what I'm going for

Floor plan idea:

This is with 10' wide doors
I plan to frame out part of it for a workout room that will have a mezzanine above it for storage.
Both above pics are the same layout, just different vehicle arrangement.

I'm gonna plan for a 2 post, but I'm not sure exactly where I'd put it. Any advice?
I have no problem going wider, but I need to hear back on the quotes.

#18 ·
Are you going to have A/C in the whole shop? If not, might want to think about a door or windows for airflow. I dont have any windows or doors anywhere but on the front of my shop and it get STUPID hot in there. Just thought I'd throw that out there.

#21 ·
I don't own the ground yet.
Running vehicles aren't a problem, but most of mine aren't running right now and are in various stages of apart.

Right now, I'm waiting on all the stinkin' metal building places to get back to me.
I have a friend with a concrete business, and he's gonna let me know what he can do for me on the slab.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.