Texas 4x4 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,117 Posts
If you are going to be doing general welding the mix will be fine. It is good for ferrous metals such as mild steel and cast. The pure argon is better for alluminum and non-ferrous metals.

·
Registered
4,086 Posts
80/20 mix works good on autos 90/10 a little better but cost more, and aluminum with a mig is tough unless you weld alot fightte at least to me.

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
mix

Clint, this is what I was told, not what I have experienced, the mix is supposed to be cooler at the point of welding contact. I used Pat Taczek's rig with aluminum wire to weld that old aluminum tool box we had on the 96 dodge 4x4 , cut and redid the bottom to fit his ford and although it was my 1st time to weld aluminum it went very well. I think you are going to love that rig as much as your plasma cutter!!!

·
Registered
4,152 Posts
what are you welding clint? I use to run pure co2 in my old welder ,but with the new I have now I run 75/25 with .030 wire for mild steel. I would think you would only want to run pre argon if you was welding aluminum. I know my dad runs argon in his heliarc.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.