Texas 4x4 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well guys the new motor has 500 miles on it so its time for first oil change....what brand oil should i buy and what filter is best???

·
Registered
226 Posts
had some guys from southwest research tell me that with synthetics there is almost no difference, but with dino there is plenty and in their research castrol gtx faired the best. pennzoil was at the bottom of the spectrum, valvoline was near the top.

I also use wix filters, if you perfer NAPA or something, they are the same. Napa Gold=WIX. Oreillys sales wix, i dont know who else does.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Yeah I've heard that about pennzoil too, supposedly its parafin based and will get nasty if it sits for a while (i think). I've had my valve covers off and it was so clean in there I could eat off of it so I don't really see where they're coming from.

·
Registered
2,376 Posts
I like Wix, Mobil 1 and AC Delco for filters. Oil in my gas engines is always Castrol GTX or TropArtic, if it can be found. I run Shell Rotella T in the diesel.

·
Premium Member
6,117 Posts
I usually try to run Wix or AC Delco filters, sometimes STP which looks identical to the AC. There are actually only 3 or 4 major manufacturers.

I run Castrol Syntec Blend in the S10 and GTX in everything else unless I dont have any money, then I run the cheap stuff.

·
Registered
221 Posts
I've always run Fram filters and Castrol GTX with no problems what-so-ever.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
i heard fram was cheap filter, o well everytone seems to go with wix....so its all good i looked into those K&N filters but coulden't bring myself to spend 12 bucks on something that gonna get tost in 500 miles

·
Registered
101 Posts
I prefer Hasting Filters and Royal Purple Oil..... This is the only Oil and Filter we use in our family of vehicles.....

·
Registered
169 Posts
I use a Wix filter and run Rotella T. Most people think Rotella is just for diesels, but it clearly states that it can be used in gas engines. boger

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.