Texas 4x4 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am about to install 35" BFG AT tires on my '84 K5 along with a 4" suspension lift.

I don't really do any wheeling...it is basically a "mall crawler" that I commute to work and back in.

If I ever WANTED to get off the road and hit a trail or 2...would these tires perform pretty well, or are they better suited for the street?

·
Registered
5,224 Posts
i am going to say that for what you described, they should do well. if your truck is mainly a daily driver you want something that will ride good and have long life. as for wheeling, as long as the surface is dry you should be ok, however if it turns wet, you will have problems. i have thought about getting a set for myself to use on my cherokee since i drive it to work occasionally. mud is the downfall of an all terrain but a mud tire would also wear out faster in use as a daily driver, so go for them and wheel when you can jamminzz

·
Super Moderator
6,117 Posts
I love the ones on my S10. They are pretty good all around tires.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Okay...so from what I'm understanding...if I want to ever get MUDDY (which I do sometimes) I need a different (more aggressive) set of tires.

I'll probably install these BFGs for daily driving and maybe pick up a set of "swampers" for trails.

1st thing I'm going to have to do though is get rid of this dang 305 and install a 350. I never liked the 305.

·
Registered
95 Posts
i had some 31 bfg all terrains on my k5 with 3.42s and open diffs and I went mudding all the time and the and the only times i got stuck is when i would drag the diffs in the ruts. some times i would air them down to 15psi and that made a big difference, just keep them cleaned out in the mud and they should be fine. my friends dad had some on his f-350 and they lasted 55,000 miles

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Big4x4ride said:
just go BFG Muds, still last quite a while.
Too late. I already paid for these and I should have them next week.

Will they fit under my K5 stock, or will I have to install my 4" suspension lift 1st?

I have the lift on the way, but if the tires will fit without it...I'll go ahead and install them. My current tires are VERY bald.

·
Super Moderator
6,117 Posts
I would do the lift first, unless you want to do a lot of fender trimming. You will probably still have rubbing issues even with the lift if you do much offroading.

·
Registered
6,733 Posts
33's stock YES, 35's stock possibly in the rear definatly not in the front, hell im lifted 4 inches and run 36's and still had to trim the front

·
Registered
539 Posts
I've got BFG A/T's on mine, couldn't be happier. I've had them out at the Den a couple times without trouble (even in 2wd) (and in the rain, although the den doesn't get all that slick). Right now I've got about 45,000 miles on them with lots of tread left, great on road and not half bad offroad.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts