Texas 4x4 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all. Recently bought an '85 Toyota pickup. Long story short, I knew something was fishy with the brakes, and now hubby and I are stuck on what could be the problem.
Our background: I previously owned a pretty-decent-shape '84 and did all the work on that myself, but mostly just followed guides/books, one friend who knows everything about 4x4s (and what all vehicular liquids taste like) and common sense. Didn't have to fix anything much, just tweaked/upgraded things. Hubby used to work at Sears Auto Center and knows a thing or two about cars in general, not really into the whole 4x4/offroad scene except what he's found googlefu'ing, now that he's all excited that "I" have a truck. jamminzz

The rear drum brakes were shot to poo. Kid (previous owner) said he'd replaced the front pads, and hubby says the front brakes look fine (given his experience, I figure he knows what he's talking about), but the rear shoes were almost shredded, though the drums *seem* okay. I put new shoes on to see if that'd do the trick. When we went to bleed them, there was no fluid getting to the rear brakes. The consensus was that the LSPV was the issue; that was removed, brake lines were replaced, and fluid flowed down one tire... showing we needed to replace the rear wheel cylinders. Now that that's done (along with more new shoes), the brakes were still pathetic at best. Hubby replaced the master cylinder today, which he swore was the last possible issue... and, still nada.

The brakes feel like nothing's there, and when they're all the way down they work a bit.

Is there anything that could be something we're missing? The rear drums/shoes are good, front discs/pads are fine, master cylinder just got replaced... any ideas? Could it be something as simple as the drums?

(And once I get this done, then it's off to troubleshoot the steering. Yay.)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys. I asked if he'd bled it before installing it, and he said yes... but after saying it was the general consensus that if he did, he did it wrong, he pulled it all out, bench bled it properly, and now things work.

You guys work better than nagging. :D

·
Mas Tequila
18,256 Posts
1 - 6 of 6 Posts