Texas 4x4 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well with the M880 almost complete (won't ever be done though) I've been thinking/dreaming about a motor for Bruiser. With the new job I start on the 9th of March I will be able to put back some serious coin for the forgotten project.

I won't be able to start working on the jeepster again for awhile, but I can start gathering the parts I need to get it on the trail. One of the first things will be the engine. I've been looking online for the last week or so and have come up with this as my first option. http://www.sdpc2000.com/catalog/120/products/120/338HP-502-HT-GM-Performance-Parts-Crate-Engine-Assembly.htm
Give me your opinions, suggestions and advice on wether I should or should not go with a big block. I really like the torque numbers this thing puts out.

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
512 ft/lbs @ 2,850

that is a nice number there. If you can afford bigblocks i don't see no reason to not run that motor, i found this one it is complete and put out more hp and alittle more torque.
http://www.sdpc2000.com/catalog/120/products/689/ZZ502-Base-Kit-Fully-Assembled-GM-Performance-Parts-Crate-Engine.htm

502 @ 5200 RPM
567 @ 4200 RPM

it is 1300 more then the one you listed but by the time you spend the cash for the carb, intake, distributor and the front of the motor stuff you will be close to that 1300 on the lower power motor.
yes i know the torque max at a higher rpm but it can't be too shabby at the bottom end though.
just a thought

·
Premium Member
10,819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm going FI so all the upper stuff on that motor would be no good to me. Also I think for my application the lesser torque @ the lower rpms would come in handy alot more than the other motor. 382 HP in my jeepster will still seem like a rocket as well. Appreciate the heads up on the motor and advise.bigok

Keepem coming!jamminzz

·
Registered
2,292 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,117 Posts
That's nice, but why not just find a rebuildable 454 and have it rebuilt. It will have plenty of low end torque and more than enough HP to get you in trouble.

Actually, as light as your jeep will be I would go for a built 350 or 383. I had the 350 with flat top pistons, stock heads and a Comp 4x4 cam in the K10 for a while. I'm guessing it was probably putting out about 350 hp and 400 lbs. and had plenty of low end torque. Plus you would save some weight over the BB.

Just my opinion. But if you want to spend that much money go for it.

A "cheap" injection system is around $1500. One that will run a mildly built BB anyway.

·
Registered
477 Posts
you should do a high cube small block, just cause its goin to be hard to fit a 502 plus all the other extra junk under that jeepster hood and between the fenders

thats my opinion anyways

wes

·
Premium Member
10,819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Don't have anything right now but dreams in my head. Never owned a BB anything before, just thought it would be kinda cool in the Jeepster. I guy over on pirate has a 500 caddy in his.smokin

Zach--Also thought about gettting a late model 8.1 out of a 3/4 ton burb or truck. They go for an average of 2500.00 with low mileage, so that would cut the cost in half. Don't know much about them though. Anyone know the hp/ft.-lb rating on these motors?

I've got awhile before I buy anything so I will just keep looking around until I find something that will work for my needs/wants.

·
Premium Member
6,117 Posts
These specs are for 2005, but they should all be pretty close for the other years.

HP: [email protected]
TQ: [email protected]

Pretty nice numbers for a stock engine. Throw in a cam, a good exhaust, and tweak the computer and you could bump up the numbers a good bit. I think that would be the best option if your set on a BB, especially if you find one with the tranny also.

·
Premium Member
10,819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Zach those numbers do sould good. Only thing is what auto trans were avaliable behind them? I know the Allison was. How big is that tranny? Did they offer the 480LE?

Cody a built SB might work, but I really want a BB. I don't know, just have to find something that will work.:cool:

·
Premium Member
10,819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Cody said:
You wanting the cool factor of a BB huh. i understand, i will keep looking for other setup.

Yep pretty much, this is going to be my toy so why not make it the baddest toy I can afford. It will probably take me another year or so (once I start working on it again) but it will be worth the effort and wait.:cool:

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
Bb

Well if you are going BB then a 426 Hemi or 440 wedge engine, they do make fuel injection at least for the 426.beer beer beer

·
Premium Member
10,819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
OldGoat said:
Well if you are going BB then a 426 Hemi or 440 wedge engine, they do make fuel injection at least for the 426.beer beer beer

Tell me more about the 426 Hemi with FI. That sounds interesting.

·
Registered
383 Posts
just remember "theres no replacement for displacement"

426 or 526 hemi in a Jeep sounds alot better that a 454/502

·
Premium Member
6,117 Posts
4L80E is standard, allison is an option.

·
Premium Member
10,819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
That's good to know, thanks Zach.bigok

·
Registered
5,743 Posts
Old Goat, I think Eric should go with the sb, because that is what we are running in ours. When he hits the trails he is going to leave us in the dust.
Eric, remember we wheel with alot of zuks, it wont be fair if you have all that power and can climb stuff they can't. On the other hand, it will be fun riding with you!

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
oh yeah!!!

But, if he had that big bad Hemi under the hood we could buy stock in whichever tire company he is running and we would make a killing. I want to ride in the Jeepster too, it should be a kick. Guess we will flip a coin for shotgun? When he moves the project to his new shop it should come together quick, I know it is a hassle with the project so far from the house etc...

·
Registered
5,743 Posts
I think he has already said you get the first ride, Mark. I just want to ride when my brakes down, or when he tries the 6 star that I can't go up!
Eric, are you looking into a NOS system? You might need it for the pits!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts