Texas 4x4 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking of putting a big lift (thinking somewhere in the 12" range) on my 1984 K5 blazer and was wanting some advice from yall about what I should use for suspension set up and what type of transmission and transfer case (thinking manual) to use or any other advice anyone has on doing a project like this.

·
Registered
379 Posts
a guy wjo comes to my work has one with 42's and 12 inch lift freakin huge!!!!!! i'd just go 8 and 3....with 40's...your'll be happy with that.......that blazer has some freakin crazy rear drive shaft angles

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Im thinkin mud and chicks mostly i just want a huge truck to drive. Its not my daily driver i just wana make it relay big but still make it capable of going through mud and have enough on road stability to get to the mud hole if you know what i mean. I know the driveshaft will just be sick but that can be solved with some pricey driveshafts. There are many people around here runin 8s so i was thinkin 12. Bigger better right? I want to avoid a body lift if at all possible too. I have never liked them.

·
Registered
469 Posts
bigblazer8484 said:
Im thinkin mud and chicks mostly i just want a huge truck to drive. Its not my daily driver i just wana make it relay big but still make it capable of going through mud and have enough on road stability to get to the mud hole if you know what i mean. I know the driveshaft will just be sick but that can be solved with some pricey driveshafts. There are many people around here runin 8s so i was thinkin 12. Bigger better right?
In that case 12" leaf springs should be cheapest, and do fine for what you want. I reccomend crossover steering atleast. I would prefer the automatic with the chicks in mind, but tire size and gear ratio would be my deciding factor there. Basicly just depends on how well you want your rig to move and how hard your going to dog on it?

Catfish 8)

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
HAHA well i am thinkin about a sm465 or nv4500 because of the one or two more gears it has on the 350 and 400s. I dont know if its worth the extra money to get the overdrive sense this will not be a highway rig. i do know this i have a 14bolt siting in my garage with a disk brake kit on it and a locker or a spool to come. Im planing a dana 60 up front. I hope these axles will support those big tires. This is a truck that i want to be able to flog and tear _____ up with and not break parts ever time i go wheeling. I was thinking of hydraulic steering...I dont know if that eliminates the need for crossover steering or not or even if it incorporates it. The thing i have heard with big springs is that you louse articulation the bigger you go... I dont know if this is really an issue in mud but if it is should i go with a 8 inch spring and 4 inch block out back? Theres some kind of bar that you can use to combat the axlewrap and other problems associated with blocks but i cant remember at this moment. Which way would you go with?

·
Registered
295 Posts
I would go with 8" springs up front with a zero rate to give you 9" of lift in the front.
In the rear go with a shacke flip for 4" and then some 6" springs.
Then do a 2" body lift.
Doing it like this will give you the best ride on the street since 12" springs all around is going to ride like a train.

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
12"

12" springs sound the most stable, you will need ladder bars to stop axlewrap for sure. Forget the body lift and stay away from any lift blocks if possible for stability. Get ready to spend some big bucks any way you slice this project especially for some driveshafts to take that kind of angle probably will have to go with double cardan joints at both ends.
If you go full hydraulic steering you will not be legal on the street, if you tap the steering box and go with hydro assist be aware the assist only comes in when the steering box is at a heavy load, it does not assist from lock to lock.

·
Registered
379 Posts
yep gonna be expensive!!!!!!!....

1. Superlift 12 inch kit-$1300
2. High Angle drive shafts-$800
3. 44 inch tire+rim-$1300-$1500
4. Dana 60 with right stuff-$800-1200
5. 205 T-case-$150-200
6. Tranny to handle 44's-$600-1000 depends what u want...go stick be 100% cheaper than a high dollar turbo 700r4
7. mmmhhhhhhhh im sure i left something out to finish out this project
Grand Total so far is---------- $4950 on cheap end or $6000 on expensive end...WOW

hope you got deep pockets man......if not those 44's are gonna make that repair bill go threw the roof......me personally would go 8 inch lift 38's and be a whole lot more reliable...plus cheaper....But Build it how you like it........send me some cash my way hahaha post some pics too....this thing is gonna be BIG.

·
Mas Tequila
18,252 Posts
add another 1k to the 60

·
OOOsahhh
3,905 Posts
Lifted78Chevy said:
yep gonna be expensive!!!!!!!....

1. Superlift 12 inch kit-$1300
2. High Angle drive shafts-$800
3. 44 inch tire+rim-$1300-$1500
4. Dana 60 with right stuff-$800-1200
5. 205 T-case-$150-200
6. Tranny to handle 44's-$600-1000 depends what u want...go stick be 100% cheaper than a high dollar turbo 700r4
7. mmmhhhhhhhh im sure i left something out to finish out this project
Grand Total so far is---------- $4950 on cheap end or $6000 on expensive end...WOW

You forgot the ladder.60.00

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I know its not going to be cheap guys thats not the issue. Well it is but not at this time ill worry about the cost later . Im just trying to figure out what set up would be the best. I know those extra 4 inches add a lot of $$$$. But yall think leaf springs all around would be the best?

·
Registered
3,552 Posts
I'm running 10" of lift on my 85 K-5 with 44"s and love it. I had 12" springs and 4" shackle kit sitting in my garage already to install and decided 12" was just to unstable. I like to play in the mud and wanting to start playing at Trees and Katemcy so I took out my sawzall and cut some fenders. Trust me.......If you plan on doing anything more then mall posing and still keeping it with the rubber side down......12" is not the way to go. I'm running 8" springs 2" longer spring shakles in the front 8" springs in the rear and 2" blocks for now. I have a friend in South Austin running 17-19" of lift on his rig with 44" and he plays with it to no end but has deep pockets for eveytime he rolls it. Looks nice but very unpracticle. You should decide how you want to use the truck and how often you want to roll it before you decide on lift height. Good luck

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.