Texas 4x4 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok here is the deal…I have a chance to buy a 87 CJ7. It has the 4.0 6 and a 4 speed tranny. Stock size tires, new white rims and pretty much stock everything else. It has a soft-top, bikini, and hard top. All the lights and gauges are intact and work and the engine runs good. It needs a new water pump and some work done on the clutch linkage. The floorboards have surface rust but no holes at all. Also the paint is bad and there is a little rust on the hood. The guy said he can pull 20MPG all day with it giving him a range of 200miles on his 10 gallon tank. He wants $2000 I may be able to get down lower say 1800 or 1700. Is this a good deal? im going to pull a compression test some time this weekend ill post the results...

·
Registered
2,895 Posts
That'll be a 4.2 motor unless he's done a swap.

If it drives good, sounds like an okay deal to me (not killer). If it's what you want, go for it if you like it.

·
Premium Member
10,819 Posts
There is no such thing as a 87 CJ7. They stop making them in 86. 87 was the first year for the YJ model (square headlights). It was also the worst year for the YJ models.

If it is a CJ7 (round headlights) then it would be an 86 and that is a good deal. Most CJs in that condition would go for 3 or 4 thousand around here.

·
Registered
5,631 Posts
Bruiser said:
There is no such thing as a 87 CJ7. They stop making them in 86. 87 was the first year for the YJ model (square headlights). It was also the worst year for the YJ models.

If it is a CJ7 (round headlights) then it would be an 86 and that is a good deal. Most CJs in that condition would go for 3 or 4 thousand around here.

what he said ... if its rust free ( as in no holes or scale) round head light and runs good go for it ....if its square offer $1000.00 :evilbat:

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The thing is he has already gotten offers for $2300 and turned them down. he just needs to sell this thing fast to buy his daughter a 5.0 mustang for $2000. So, i am kind of in a tight spot. it is definitely a CJ7, says it all over the car and it has the CJ grill. There is NO rust holes and only a little surface rust on the floor boards. and a little trickling down the dash pad. I just don’t want to louse money on this deal. Lets say drive it for 6 months as a dd save on gas from not driving the blazer cept for wheeling and sell it for how much?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts