Texas 4x4 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys i need some measurments if ya'll don't mind.

lookin at a tub and frame on a CJ-7. the guy only wants $200 bucks for it. i'm thinkin about a swap with all my toyota stuff over to it, my drivetrain (350/th350/toy t-case) and my springs and axles since they are also already built up. and my springs are 7" lift springs so i can keep the spring under and have enough lift for the 39.5 boggers i think. tell me if i'm wrong. i will be going with a comp cut rear and flat fender the jeep. and i'll be wanting to run my 39.5" boggers as well.

now i was wondering how this would go, my axles are 60" wms-wms cause i am running 2" wheel spacers all around and my springs are 47" eye to eye. and my springs are: 29" center pin to center pin on the front and 39" from center pin to center pin on the rear. the rear i am not really worried about cause i know i can move the perches and as long as the front center to center is not less then 29" i belive i can move the perches out i just can't move them in anymore cause the pass. perch is already next to the pumpkin.

will i be able to use my springs and axles to make this swap?

thanks guys
Mudd-Dawg

·
Registered
268 Posts
You can use your springs and axles, yes.

But will they line up....who knows? Another thing to think about - driveshafts! You're going to need new ones made and you just had yours replaced, didn't you?

If you REALLY want to run your Toy junk under that CJ, all you have to do is cut off the existing suspension mounts and weld on new units.

For the front spring hangers, you could use a Sky Mfg or Allpro/Marlin unit and weld it on there. It will be the right length already and then you just buy some rear hangers and line them up, weld them on. Not hard, just takes planning and taking measurements. As for shocks and shock towers, I would just use some F350 towers or some shock hoops from the above companies. I'd do crossover too, get it done and over with. Are you going to use the Toy steering box setup and all that too? That shouldn't be too hard, but look into the Jeep boxes too. Pirate probably would have a lot more info on this and the rest. I've seen a few Jeeps with Toy axles...

(by the way, you're making me want to buy a Jeep, so STOP lol)

For the rear...you basically already have it covered. Just move the spring perches and you're done. You'll probably want to weld in a pipe for the shocks but that's about it. if I were you, I'd find a 12 bolt or 14B FF and 4 link it, but that's just me. It would be a better rear suspension and you'll have the time to do it right.

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
"toyota junk" ?? my axles will hold up way after D44's will.......my axles are built lol. all chromoly in the rear and the new longfields up front, i'll shear a pinion gear before i break a shaft (knocks on wood)....

and my simple of way doing all that time consuming trouble your describing is to get BTF's kit from them and go that way, just wondering how my spring perches are going to line up on the front axle. i know i have no problems with rear but my front is the one i'm wondering about cause of the current perch placement on the toyota front axle....

yes i'll be going crossover steering. and yes in the future the full width 14FF and D60 front is the way to go, but for now if i can make my toy axles work then wammy there it is....

and i can always have my driveshafts shortened.....

·
Registered
268 Posts
Nah, I didn't mean it like junk...I just use that as a word like "stuff". I run the same thing you do lol.

OK, go with your axles right now. What BTF kit? Linky? I would just weld a new hanger on the front with some shackles setup like a Toyota and crossover - done.

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
well i may do that, but i think i may be able to use BTF's kit and make it alot easier and better, i think that kit moves the axle forward alittle and the rear BTF kit moves it back alittle so. and yes they are leaf springs.

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
well your k5 stuff should be easy, wish it that easy for me lol.....the axles is the only thing holding me back right now....need to know how dificult this will be lol.

ok i think BTF's kit makes the axle perches 31.25 pin to pin and with mine being 29 pin to pin i have room to make em bigger so this is starting to look more to the good everytime i talk to those guys over there.

and the rear relocation kit they sell makes the rear axle perch's 36" pin to pin to that means all i need to do is move the rear axle perch's in on my toyota rear axle. this swap is lookin to be maybe an easy one.

now i gotta figure out is 1 what springs to run so that i can run my 39.5 boggers on this dude. and 2 what does it take to make the 350/th350 swap into a CJ7 possible? are there swap parts or are they DIY things to get her in there?

·
Registered
268 Posts
DIY would be my guess...I'd just cut out the tunnel for clearance issues. People swap in 350s into Heeps all the time.

As for springs - Rancho 44044s in the front, your 7" rears or 63" Chevies. Sky makes a mount kit for the 63s and the 44044s are popular for Toys but they are really Jeep springs. :D

·
Registered
268 Posts
Do they line up? Seems like the frames would be much different and a lot of body matching would be in order. Better hope your welding skills are top notch too...

·
OOOsahhh
3,905 Posts
I would think it would be the easier route. Your welding skills wouldn`t be in more demand welding body mounts. There is a lot more stress on the spring mounts. So you would move a few body mounts,or change out the engine&mounts,tranny&mounts,springs&mounts,and the list goes on. spankn

·
Mas Tequila
18,256 Posts
yup, putting the CJ tub on the toy frame would be a whole lot less work.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts