Texas 4x4 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I put in an engine this weekend that I got from a salvage and after I got it installed found out it knocks. Long story short the guy tried to blow me off and not make good on the engine he said he would warranty. He tried to pawn off some other crap engines on me but I would not go for it. I saw they had a 1990 model chevy truck out front for sale. He said he would not part out the truck but after I changed his mind with some persuasive words I'm suppose to go pick it up tommorrow. What all am I going to need to get besides the computer to make this thing work in my 1977 Jimmy? He said he would give me what ever I need off of it for my troubles. I just don't want to get a bunch of stuff that I will just end up throwing away. Thanks for your help.

·
I've met Johnny Cash
2,207 Posts
1990 (assuming it was the 5.7L/350) was a TBI unit. So, you would need the engine, brackets and accessories along with the wiring harness and computer. To make things easy, if it were me, I would also take the steering column.

The 1990 Autos came with the 700R4. I'm assuming you are not swapping trannies, too.

·
Premium Member
10,819 Posts
IMO, get everything you can. It's better to have everything you need than not having some little part that you could have gotten for nothing, then going back to the dealership and paying for it. I'm sure whatever you don't use it won't be to much trouble to throw it in the dumpster.

·
Premium Member
6,117 Posts
i think the ls1 are the reverse rotation, could be wrong but the tbi setup should be like the old setup and be normal rotation.
88+ use the reverse rotation water pumps due to the way the serp. belt is set up. The LS1s are reverse flow as well, which is probably what you are thinking about.

Also see if you can get the fuel pump/sending unit assembly and fuel lines.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all the help on this matter. Sorry I didn't put it in there but yes it is a 350 TBI. Does it matter what kind of electric fuel pump I get for it?

·
Premium Member
6,117 Posts
Yes it does. You will need one that has the right flow and pressure. The TBI chevys run around 15 psi, not sure about flow.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.