Texas 4x4 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what would you build?help me out please.

i want 4 bays what size?but i might have to do 3 bays....

1 2 3 4 something like this how deep would you do it?

thanks in advance

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
lets see i would want 14 to 16 ft wide for each car, lets say the average truck is 10 ft long add room to work and a bench and some work area. 60x25 would be nice.
with just 3 a 40x30 would be nice.

it mainly just depends do you want storage area? lift? bathroom? bench along the wall?

i was thinking the bench be 4 to 5 ft long and the a 10 ft truck you would want working area so add 5 to 10ft worth a working area so at least 20 to 25 deep.

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
Well, while were dreaming. I would want it to be long enough to pull my dodge crew cab dually with boat attached!!! in with 10 feet or so in front and rear of it. Plus, lights in the floor and heater tubes in the floor. I would also put a bathroom and overhead storage for long pieces of metal. I would also do an office with computer and recliner. I would run a work bench with plugs every 5 feet all the way down one side of the longest wall. I would have an open area for my bender mounted to the floor. I would put a door on each end of it for airflow during the summer. I would also have an overhead crane that could slide all around the shop to lift axles, engines and other heavy items. Oh ya, and an open spot for my OCC I robot look alike bike!!! I think that would about do it for me.

·
Registered
468 Posts
changes

I am in a 40' X 100' X 14' metal building. There are two 12' overhead doors for two forty foot bays. I sure wish there were doors on the other end of each bay. There is a front door and then a two car garage door and a 20' bay. The rest of the building is a bedroom, bathroom, kitchen, utility room, small den and dining room, and a nice room for office, work or whatever. The living area has central heat/air. Plenty of storage above the living area, but if the building were two foot higher, one could have a second story. The best part is that it is deep in the country with only wildlife for neighbors. We are talking about adding a large glass room on the back for the flowers, hot tub, suana, tanning station, and another bathroom overlooking the big oak trees and the pond (deer and bird feeders). popcornn We really enjoy the sitting area in the open part of the building where we sit , watch tv, roast peanuts on the wood burning stove and visit with whomever comes around. The old motorhome ('87) fits nicely in the bay and it's just like camping out indoors except the whole d--n building is full of junk. chrfal

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
etc.... full of snap on & matco tools & their calender girls working on my
trucks. thats a dream!!!!
just like on the calender!
i wish one of the top two were true.

·
Registered
3,552 Posts
Heck, if you want I could even come down and install a complete heating and cooling system to keep it at just the right temp. all year long..

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
@ the new house i canbuild a new garage with 3 or 4 bays,how about reality garage instead of dream.

i need @least 30ft length grey is lwb and i may steal stretch's idea so ican put my johndeere in front of grey

each bay will have own 110/220 outlets and bodylock spots in floor.
i cant swing a lift right now but i want 1

heat potbelly stove(s),a/c will probably be old unit off house.

so what would you ad?

·
Registered
64 Posts
Floor drains

roll up garage doors

reciever tubes in concrete for tool stand mounts

'loud' equipment room/cubby/exterior lean-to (air compressor)

air lines throughout (off walls and ceilings)

You will never have enough electrical outlets

crapper and large sink (Even a shower- keeps the wife happy)

washing machine for shop rags/clothes (again, keeps the wife happy)

·
Registered
468 Posts
Skylights---natural light is hard to beat---I have 5 (2 X 8 ) on each half of the building, and you want to turn the lights out when you leave. At night the security lights let in enough light to walk in at night and go into the living quarters without any other lights.

Opening the overhead doors make cook outs great even in bad weather. You can Char-B-Que and wrench at the same time.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts