Texas 4x4 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
695 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is kinda a strange question but it has had me really confused for a week or so. I have found out that I have a second opportunity at a job that I turned down 4 years ago. The job I have know just pays the bills. But money just exchanging hands. Kinda sucks because I never can get ahead. So to make any spending money I have to do alot of side jobs. This is probably not going to change in the near futre.
The new position the money will increase about 1/3. I know I have the skill to do the new job because I have done it before but for a different company. The major setback is that I will not be able to chose what kind of schedule I keep. Junior man get what is left type of thing. I might end up working nights,out of town all week,or possibly days. I currently have a 4 1/2 year old girl and another will be here in October. I really want to be around for my family but one way I look at it is if I work 40/45 hrs a week at regular job then have to work on the side evenings and weekends I will not be here for them anyway. Also after I get a couple of years in and I am not the junior man I can pick and choose what I want to do and can be here whenever I want to. Also the new job would have killer benefits and is union.
So I guess what I am wondering is do I hang to the old or grab on to the new? Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
My job requires about 55-60 hours a week. I stay so busy I wouldnt have anytime for the family if I had kids. But the paychecks are nice.

I think if you are having to work side jobs anyway to make it, then go for the new job and make more money at one thing and advance further. Like you said, in two years you won't be the junior man and you can change your schedule to fit your needs.

·
Premium Member
4,401 Posts
Once your current company knows you except the other job, they will match the pay, then you work the same hours as now with more money. bigok

·
Registered
468 Posts
yes ehh..no....maybe..?

Just go do the right thing. Whatever will be, will be. The future is not ours to see. Make the best decision you can with the info you have and don't look back. No matter how things turn out, it might have been worse if you hadn't done what you are going to do. Good luck and prayer will not hurt.

Flip a coin, and keep flippin' it till you get the answer YOU want. Don't worry. Things have a way of working out---or not. Just bsflg 'n with ya. Go to the job you enjoy the most. Regardless, you are going to look back and say, "I wish I had done so and so 20 years ago." Have you not figured out yet that you can't win--the deck is stacked. Just rockonn . popcornn

·
Registered
5,224 Posts
my opinion,

right now the kids are young enough that they can adjust to you being gone, after a couple of years, hopefully the schedule at work would change and you would no longer be the junior man and could get a schedule that would work with your family better. then you would be there for the kids while they are more active in school and other things. the extra money would be nice also to help pay for things now instead of looking and wanting. one thing though is the long term outlook. when i went to work at the post office, i left a job and took a 2.50 an hour pay cut, but i knew it would make up for it in the long run. i now make 5.00 more an hour than i was before, plus have more benefits. speaking of benefits, although not money, they should be figured in the scheme of things also, insurance, retirement ect. how does the new company stack up against the old? with the side jobs are you are probably gone from the family just as much as with the new job.

i say "grab onto the new" bigok

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
job

What Jeff said about the benefits, you just can't beat great benefits. 2 years will pass before you can blink. I left TXU after 10 years to pursue working for myself and I can say without hesitation loosing the benefits was the toughest part to deal with. However, I do not regret it because in the long run it gave me the money and time to take the family places and have nicer stuff. Any job has struggles and bumps in the road whether you work for somebody else or yourself. Sometimes change is good, it gives you a fresh outlook, new challenges and the chance for advancement. Good luck with the decision.

·
Registered
695 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes the old company has good benefits.Insurance,vision,dental,That is mostly paid for by the company.Company match 50% up to 6% 401K. One problem is there raise system is like a possible 1-3% per year which includes merit and cost of living. Which even at 3% it does not cover cost of living.
The new company has great benefits also.Insurance,vision,dental,company match 401K and the contract is nogociated ever year.Also it is a Union company and the currnt contact is if you have 30 years in you get your insurance paid for and $3500 a month. Now some people say that there is not 30 years left to the union in this country. Maybe so maybe not. But I will not need to worry about that if I do not try. Also the job will increase my money be quite a bit. The only drawback that I see is possible layoffs when slow and doing alot of traveling. But as long as I can last a couple years until I am not the junior man all that will be a MUTE POINT.

·
Registered
72 Posts
TX_ZUKI said:
Once your current company knows you except the other job, they will match the pay, then you work the same hours as now with more money. bigok

Or they let ya go as soon as you put in the notice...

Last job I had did that to me when I left them to come where I'm at now. Two-week vacations are nice... :D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts