Texas 4x4 Forum banner

Engine recipes

8K views 29 replies 20 participants last post by  TXTJ 
#1 ·
How come there aren't more engine-cooked recipes here? Thought this was a wheeling forum :confused:

#3 ·
get a stick and put marshmallow on it and fire up the truck stand behind the exhaust and heat till melted.

if you got a rig with flamethrower it works better!!

i have used the manifold to heat a can of something, just make sure you put a hole in the top!!

can of chili with no hole equal huge problem!!

#5 ·
Trail Stew

Trail Stew,
Last time I was on the trail I meet an old timer who was having lunch **hot lunch that is***. He said he did it just like I had done in the scouts except
he used his engine.. He did'nt say how long it took. But I'm going to find out
once it gets cold and I actualy want a hot meal on the trail.

large doubled up heavy foil
1 patato Sliced
1 carrot Sliced
1 onion Sliced
1/4 to 1/2 pound ground meat
salt pepper
Rap it all up in the foil and place in very secure spot on the motor
May want to tie it down Go have some fun,, stay out of the deep water
Check in an hour or so as it will probobly need fliping.
Cook till done.

Cant wait to try it,,it just seems like a bit of fun.

#18 ·
Glad you bumped this old thread...

Manifold Destiny at Amazon

The above is a link to a book called Manifold Destiny. The original authors came back with an updated copy due to the incredibly high internet sales prices of the original. The prices vary wildly, due to the difference between the two versions.

I received this book as a gift back in January, finally. I've been looking for it for a number of years and it was well worth the read. There are a lot of neat recipes in there if you're willing to try them. Certainly, the recipes would work well on a trail rig where you're crawling around all day. The newer motors we have in our DD's just aren't cut out for cooking anymore :( .

#7 ·
One of the first wheeling trips I took in the Blazer I wrapped a bunch of brisket, that I had left over, in some tin foil. I forget who all I feed with that.

#9 ·
1funny1 1funny1 2finger

It works for me.

#23 ·
Got it for $13 from a used book store, ships Monday.

#13 ·
Back in the day, I used to reheat burritos in the hi rise manifold on my Mopar 383. Even cooked scrambled eggs a couple of times. Slap it in tin foil, wedge it in the manifold, drive to work.

A couple of years ago, at a dealership I worked at, we were using CRV engines to reheat everything. Had about 7 of them running in the parking lot with those big foil pans sitting on the DOHC valve cover.

#14 ·
I just started picking up my lunch at Whataburger in the mornings. Before I leave town for a day wheeling trip, I stop and get 2 burgers "dry". I take a piece of foil and ask them to put the patties in the foil. I pick up a couple packets of ketchup on the way out. When it's about 11am or so, I put the patties on the intake near the throttle body. There's a wire loom that holds them on the engine. About 30 min to 1 hr later, the patties are hot. Pull the burgers out of the cooler put in the ketchup and patties. Except fot the cold buns, it's just like having a Whataburger drive thru on the trail.

#15 ·
I have put breakfast burritos on top of the intake in the mornings before. Just wedge it under the distributor against the valve cover and intake, 20-30 min later there nice and hot.
I have tall valve covers and with a big burrito they stay put pretty good.

#16 ·
thats the best trick in the world, i used my sbc to thaw out catfish bait in the middle of the night at the river, warm up jack in the box tacos on camping trips. etc.bigok

#17 ·
Also, I get Opa's jalapeno and cheddar sausage from HEB. I wrap them in foil in the morning. They also sit in between the throttle and valve cover. Just be sure they don't interfere with the accelerator linkage.

They can also sit on the exhaust manifold if you forget to get em out early.
Anyway, all you need is tortillas after that.

#19 ·
on long runs i like to pick up a bunch of lunch meat, hamburger buns, and a few kinds of cheeses... slap it all together into sandwiched, wrap it in foil, and throw it on the intake.... it melts the cheese all into everything and is great... sausage on a stick wrapped in foil is an easy good one too

#21 ·
Is that a custom made oven, or aftermarket?

#25 ·
#26 ·
Here's a sample of the beginning of the book.

#30 ·
Tamales are good reheated as well!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.