Texas 4x4 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We started with a LARGE and heavy piece of 5"x3" steel tube. Had a good time visiting and testing beers and mixed drinks, the beers won hands down.

Next step was to lay out the cuts.

Obviously done without a plasma cutter!

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
TJ Bumper

Next step was to begine fitting and tack welding it together. We wanted all the edges to have a factory look with the rolled edge, took a bit of doing and working the metal.

Eric and I working it over from both ends to get the perfect fit!

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
More TJ bumper work!

A little more beer, a lot more welding and grinding. The old goat did not loose his temper even once!

The Oldgoat, Bruiser and Mudgoddess in the chair there taking a break from getting great photos of the project. Thanks Mudgoddess!

Oldgoat, oldgoats stinky cigar, Bruiser and badboy Mudgod!
That Bruiser swings a mean hammer!

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Almost finished

The final work, just have to add the thick tow bars next week.
Congrats Eric.

·
Registered
5,743 Posts
I knew something was out of place, you never did loose your temper! Maybe it was just because Mudgodess was with us that night, maybe it was the beer, or the Margaritas and Mexcan food. Thanks for a great time and a good meal. Eric's new bumper is going to be sweet!

·
Premium Member
4,401 Posts
And I was hoping you were going to get mad and throw a grinder around. Great project guys, looks like you had fun and plenty of beer

·
Premium Member
10,819 Posts
The OldGoat is the master of metal. I could have never done this AWESOME of a job on the bumper. jamminzz jamminzz Can't wait to get it on the TJ.

It was great hanging out and building the bumper with OldGoat, Mudgod and Mudgoddess. beer beer

·
Mas Tequila
18,252 Posts
Looks good...:) How heavy is it?

·
Premium Member
10,819 Posts
Don't know yet, will weigh it after it is completely finished. I think the 6ft pc that we started out with was around 60 lbs or more. It's 1/4" wall tubing.

·
Premium Member
10,819 Posts
Update

Worked on the bumper today. Removed the factory rear bumper on the TJ then mocked the new one in place with jackstands. Did alot of measuring and built some new brackets out of some 3" C channel I had laying around. Worked great for the upper brackets. I went to TSC to get some 1/2 inch bolts and while there picked up a pc of strap to make the lower brackets.

After much welding, grinding and drilling I got all the brackets in place and test fitted the bumper. It looks great on the TJ. Only thing I have to do know is cut and weld in the 1" thick shackle bars, ran out of steam at about 5pm. Plan on doing that sometime this week and then off to the powder coater it goes!

No pics today, was by myself and forgot the digi at home.

·
Registered
715 Posts
lookin good

·
Registered
5,743 Posts
Take a pic already!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

·
Premium Member
10,819 Posts
I just fixed the screw up on the paint job. I will get pics this weekend when It's on the TJ. smokin

·
Registered
471 Posts
Powder coat???? on a bumper??? must be better driver than I am. but if it's as good as mine it'll shrug off a dodge at 30mph. I wanna see the back one, gonna do a tire carrier/ swing out?? If so would you center it or off set to one side? popcornn

·
Premium Member
10,819 Posts
PhulesAu said:
Powder coat???? on a bumper??? must be better driver than I am. but if it's as good as mine it'll shrug off a dodge at 30mph. I wanna see the back one, gonna do a tire carrier/ swing out?? If so would you center it or off set to one side? popcornn
Wound up painting it myself, messed up the face of the bumper so I had to sand it down and re paint it.

Might do a carrier if I ever go bigger than 31s, probably sell the jeep before that ever happens. lol If I was to do one I would center it, just my prefence on how it would look.

·
Registered
5,743 Posts
Take a few before you put it on. We need pics of both sides.

·
Premium Member
10,819 Posts
Finally was able to install the bumper on the TJ today with help from mudgod. I think it turned out really well.

Thanks a million OldGoat and mudgod, couldn't have done it without ya'll. jamminzz

mudgod has some more pic he took today with his camera phone so he might post them up too. smokin

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.