Texas 4x4 Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a jack-ass. I know I am: I tend to say what's really on my mind whenever anyone makes it painfully apparent to me that they have no freaking idea of the right and wrong way to treat people.

It's been a total of six days since I faxed in my SIGNED contract and CONSENT to charge my credit card a $250 deposit. They wasted no time debiting my account (same day). I received email confirmation (no phone call) of receipt of my fax, but it was a day after they got their money and a day after I sent an email asking if they got the fax. Next day, I called and left a message with an additional contact number for puckup, then sent an email with same info cuz I was afraid the wrong person would get the phone message. 24 hrs or so later I got an email confirmation of the new phone number, never a call-back from my voice message.

On Friday I called and left another voice message asking (in an unbelievably pleasant voice) for status of my order. Something like, "Can you give an estimate of an approximate pick up date?" I followed this up with an email. The call and the email were early enough to catch these guys before close of bidness.

So here it is Monday afternoon. I get home expecting to see my answering machine blinking with a message...nope. I fire up the pooter and find I have 17 new emails awaiting me. Oh joy, they must have responded. Nope. So I pick up the phone and start dialing.

Well shiver me timbers, a live person answered. "The truck is in the area, it should be in the next one to two days." "Thank you. That's great," say I. And then we move on to the soul-eating issue that plagued me all weekend.

HATCH: Are you a person in charge?

PERSON: Yes. We are very busy this...

HATCH: [I interupt...see he knew he screwed up] It's okay, it's okay. I'm not upset at all that the car isn't picked up yet.

PERSON: We're working as fast as we can. It's a very busy time for us.

HATCH: Hang on hang on; I know you're busy, but give me just a minute or two here. I want to help you out a little bit with your customer service. When you take $250 for a deposit, you owe the customer a "thank you for your business" phone call. When you're holding $250 and haven't done anything tangible for a customer yet, you owe the customer a 'status of your order' call. When a customer calls repeatedly to check status on his order, you owe him a phone call.

PERSON: Yes sir, but this is our busiest time of the year.

HATCH: Listen man, it's cool. I'm not hounding you to go pick up my car. I just want to be kept informed. Communication is important. You could have called me on Friday and said, "Dude, it may be 10 days before we pick it up, we're swamped," and I would have been cool with that. But what I'm not cool with is your lack of prompt communication.

[slight pause]

HATCH: Everything's cool man, pick it up as soon as you can and do the job right. Have a great afternoon.

·
Mas Tequila
18,252 Posts
One of your Colorado buddies recommend these guys????

·
Registered
2,895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Rastus said:
One of your Colorado buddies recommend these guys????
Umm, no...it's like a NASA contractor: the lowest bidder. I was willing to wait extra days to save money. Door to door service from New Jersey to Dallas $695. Some bids were over $1000. I requested over 20 bids, and that was barely scratching the surface of the list of transport companies I found on the web.

·
Registered
2,895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
When can you leave Eric? I'll call and cancel the deal I already have and get my money back. :)

Approx. 1500 miles one-way. Assume 10mpg average round trip (playing it safe..it could be that low w/Jeep). Assume $2.25/gal diesel. Assume no one you trust to drive while you sleep is ready to go when you are, so you need a room at least 3 nights, but figure 4 to play it safe. Assume $45 with taxes per night.

3000 miles / 10mpg x $2.25 = $675
3000 miles @ 60 mph average (if I'm lucky) = 50 hours of DRIVING time
Motel $45 x 4 = $180
Intangibles: extra cost of food cuz you ain't got time to run around looking for a cheap place to eat.

4 days of my life and $900 out of my pocket and I could have had the "experience" of going to get it myself. Even if I figure in a co-driver and we can stand each other's funk for two solid days in the truck, I'd still want to buy his/her meals.

I think $695 is well worth it. I won't have a 4-day window available until mid July. If it gets here by July 20, 2005, that's sooner than I could have gone to get it.

·
Premium Member
10,819 Posts
Hatch said:
4 days of my life and $900 out of my pocket and I could have had the "experience" of going to get it myself. Even if I figure in a co-driver and we can stand each other's funk for two solid days in the truck, I'd still want to buy his/her meals.

Didn't say it would be cheaper, just wouldn't want to trust someone else with my new toy. Like I said that's just me.

·
Registered
2,895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Plan B:
Fly up to get it, drive back.

They ain't gonna hold it forever, so you gotta get a "leave right now" flight: $300 minimum. But wait, I can't risk leaving last week to drive back because I HAVE to be at work on Friday 6/3/05, then M-Th til July 15-ish. If somethings happens on the road and I'm late getting back, I'm screwed. So again, I can't go til mid July. I could send my money now and ask them to store it for free for six weeks.

Buy cheap advance purchase flight: $150
1500 miles @ 13mpg? x $2.25/gal = $260
Motel @ $45 x 2 = $90
Total $500, save $195 to spend 3 days in the summer on the road in a hardtop Jeep w/o air conditioning. $65/day for 10 hours of driving. $6.50/hr.

I got better things to do with my time.

Believe me, I looked at this thing from every angle before I decided to (A) buy the Jeep from Jersey and (B) hire a transport company.

·
Registered
2,895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Bruiser said:
Didn't say it would be cheaper, just wouldn't want to trust someone else with my new toy. Like I said that's just me.
See, my thinking was, at that point, if I gotta go get it myself, I gotta find a cheaper or closer (or both) Jeep. I wasn't gonna find a cheaper Jeep with the features I wanted. I'd been looking for at least three weeks and I knew 4.0 autos [that I could afford] were few and far between. Heck, even adding in the ones I couldn't afford, they were still pretty darn scarce.

It's all good. I have time to assess the parts Jeep.

·
Registered
5,224 Posts
hatch,
did you get a quote from gator transport company located in canton texas. gator was courteous and able to do this on short notice for me (within 3 hours after calling they had it set up to pick up the next day!) their number is 1-888-393-8034; ask to speak to david jr or sr, good people and helpful

·
Registered
5,631 Posts
I went to SC to get my 4runner 300.00 roud trip and $900.00 oneway screwey... so round trip ticket I got and sleeped that night on the plane and drove home 23 hour with a 30 min cat nap ... great fun had to do it at least once jamminzz

·
Registered
2,895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Update: Last Monday, the story was "one or two days 'til pickup" (see above post). On Thursday last (6-9-05), which was only one day AFTER they said they were picking it up, I got a real person on the phone again and he said, "Let me give you the number to dispatch," which he followed up with a completely different number (area code diff too). Called it Thursday...no one answered, left voice message.

Funny, the 2nd number didn't answer with "Nationwide Auto Transport" as the other place did. Oh...I got it figured now: Nationwide is just a broker; they own no trucks. That's cool. Never heard back from them, so I called the 2nd number again today. WooHoo! Live person (same voice as machine from Thursday). And she says it's been assigned to a driver. WooHoo! A little chitchat and I discover it's a hotshot flatbed that contracts with the trucking contractor. Hotshot flatbed is fine...no cars overhead to drip grease down on my Jeep. And it get's better: she gives me the driver's name and cell number!

About 30 minutes later, phone rings here. IT'S THE TRANSPORT DRIVER!

HE HOPES TO PICK UP MY JEEP IN NEW JERSEY TUESDAY MORNING. One other vehicle to pick up 20 miles away, then he's headed home to Texas (he lives in Winnsboro). I guess he's the sub-sub-contractor in my case :)

·
Registered
695 Posts
See the problem you are having is because you went with a BROOKER. Had you worked with a transport company directly you could have cut out the middle man and probably got the job done for less money than the 695 you paid and had you vehicle here in proBABLY 4-5 DAYS. The brooker will pick up your stuff whenever they get someone real close to where the pickup and drop off is. Also if they do not have a full load going from Jersey to Dallas you Heap will go to a yard and be off loaded from the truck and then will wait untill it can be paired up with other vehicles going to the Dallas area. Why do I know all of this. I was a car hauler for several years. My advice is to ask alot of the right questions and do some of the leg work yourself next time on finding a company that services the areas. Brookers are not the way to go. If they have already picked up you vehicle then you can just sit back and wait. Do not get poopy with them until you have you car in possesion and have done an inspection unless you have a contract stating how long it will take to get you vehicle and what the discount will be if it is over that time or you may be along time waiting. :rolleyes: popcornn fightte popcornn popcornn

·
Registered
114 Posts
GREAT TO HEAR!! jamminzz

I used a broker and had great results... they contracted it almost same day to Sanders Transport company from Flower Mound, Texas. Greatest guy I could have met and he called me three or four times before he even got to Texas to keep me and the other 7 vehicle owners updated. I ended up paying $695 as quoted from Mass. to Hou, Tx and I added a $40 tip to the driver for being very helpful in the process. I even got to driver her off the trailer...

·
Registered
114 Posts
I wouldn't have, but he went out of his way to make everything as easy as it possibly could have been... and I tow for a living, so I understand how people are about their vehicles...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.