Texas 4x4 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a D35 on my 02 Jeep Wrangler and after breaking one I'm not in the mood to spend money to fix it again.

Any ideas what would make a good donor axle?

I looked at the ford 8.8 but I'm leaning toward the 9 inch as there seems to be a lot more parts for them due to them being used in racing.

Any advice would be nice good or bad. Pros or cons of using this axle.

·
Mas Tequila
18,256 Posts
I think a high pinion ford 9" would be a good choice, but building one will be $$$ I think.

I say High Pinion because the normal 9" pinion sits very low.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
A high pinion is an easy swap as the center section can be changed out from a low to a high. Currie has them so that would be a future upgrade.

But after setting the pinion angle up right and then welding the brackets for the TJ the pinion should be mostly out of the way.

·
Registered
72 Posts
The only draw back to the high pinion 9, is the ring gear is from a 8.8. It is not a true 9 ring rear, plus it is not cheap. Other than that I am building a 9 for the rear of my tj as we speak. Just got the rear end in now we have to go clean it and start stripping it and cutting it to size.

later
jmd

·
Mas Tequila
18,256 Posts
Take some pics of the progress as I am interested in this as well. Did you buy a bracket kit or are you fabbing your own?

·
Registered
72 Posts
I will probly just buy a set of brackets, it is quicker that way.

later
jmd

1 - 6 of 6 Posts