Texas 4x4 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
1,740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Rastus: anyway to add a choice with advanced search so you can search for a phrase rather than any word or words? Or maybe I just missed that option. I wanted to search for "ford 9" and got back every post that had "ford" or "9" in it.

So I got the parts YJ to the house today. I am planning to leave it on the trailer while I scavenge. It is definitely a Ford 9" rear. I asked the seller a lot of questions about it, but he couldn't remember. He does still have the receipt from when the work was done, but it's "at the office" which didn't help me much today.

It is for sure a high pinion chunk (kewl, he never mentioned that). So does that automatically mean anything special (other than it's a HIGH pinion)? I mean something like, "Oh yeah, it has to be from a '69 Mustang 428 Cobra Jet, it should be 35 spline with big bearings and it's rated to withstand a 5 megaton nuclear blast because it is made out of unobtanium."

I hope to pull an axle shaft tomorrow and count me some splines.

· Mas Tequila
14,889 Posts
Hatch said:
Rastus: anyway to add a choice with advanced search so you can search for a phrase rather than any word or words? Or maybe I just missed that option. I wanted to search for "ford 9" and got back every post that had "ford" or "9" in it.*******************************************************
No.

I will see if there is an option but I think I 've already explored this road

if there is a "N" cast into the dropout housing then it's a nodular housing which is good. other than that no, it's just a hi pinion 9" Which is also kool

· Registered
324 Posts
there should not be a factory option high pinion 9" from anything that I have ever heard of....I would think if it is high pinion then it should be a currie or Hi-9 which both would be stamped in to the housing

· Registered
57 Posts
Also - chances are if someone went through the expense of puting a HP 3rd member in there they probably also would have had a locker.

BTW, I picked up the 9" in this pic at the bone yard a few months ago....turned out to have a Detroit locker and brand new 4.10 gears in it....so you never know what you're getting until you crack it open!

· Registered
44 Posts
I do know that if its a HP 9in then its not a factory opion. The HP's that are a valible from currier is not a true 9in ring gear, it is acutaly a 8.8 ring gear. and they are not cheap, but it is a cool factor for the 9 you have.
hope this helps

later
jmd

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.