Texas 4x4 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Parts YJ:

Seller kept saying "Detroit Locker" in both axles and I assumed "full" detroit. I got the rear driveshaft disconnected from the busted t-case so that I could spin the tires to check for a bent wheel or axle flange. In the process of hand spinning and changing directions, the driveshaft took a little jump, then stopped turning (and the opposite wheel stopped turning). Clicking starts coming out of the rear. First thought: oh horror, the ring or pinion is broken. Seconds later I realized this sound is almost identical to what I hear when verifying a Lockright or Quicklock is properly functioning (unlocking for turns).

I was able to get the other side to do the same thing after a couple of tries of rapidly changing direction of the spin.

I've never dealt with a "full" Detroit, but I assume one of those would not be so easy to unlock. I have a Detroit EZ Locker in there, don't I? [Which is okay...it's still a locker, just not as valuable]

·
Registered
2,895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hmmm. I really don't want to pull the pig on this 9" to see what I've got. Oh well...it's a locker and that's what matters.

·
Registered
4,152 Posts
the full detroit in the rear of my blazer will unlock pretty easy when its on jack stands.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.