Texas 4x4 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 3/4 ton 14FF and I want to install disk brakes on it. I want to do a good job but keep the cost down if possible. The best (and easiest) way I have found so far is to buy the bracket kit from off road design and use calipers that have no e brake. Then rig up an e brake on the output yoke on the transfer case. Have any of yall ever done this or have any advice?

·
Registered
3,552 Posts
I just installed a 14ff with disc on my 85 K5 and after talking with a mechanic friend of mine I'm going to tap into my brake lines at the master cylinder and run the lines into the cab and through a ball valve to act as a line lock for e-brakes. I'm going to run 1 for the front and 1 for the rear. You can get the brakets and sometimes the whole disk kit on ebay for under $300.00 or brackets for under $90.00

·
Premium Member
6,117 Posts
Line locks will work, but they are not a legal e-brake. You have to have a braking system that will work seperately from the main system should it fail. Hence, the name emergency brake.

That being said, I went with the caddy calipers and have yet to hook up the parking brakes in the 2 or 3 years I've had them.

·
Premium Member
6,117 Posts
Also search the vendor forums on pirate, sometimes you can find the brackets in the $50 range.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
great well i think i will combine what both of yall said... I will run line locks so when im on a steep hill... and to stay DOT legal ill rig up that output shaft e break which i heard is easier to set up than the edlderado calipers. Hey Zach how did you pass inspection with no e break?

·
Premium Member
6,117 Posts
My brother used to work for the inspector. I'm sure I could probably get a sticker at the ford dealership back home too, they dont seem to care much.

·
Registered
2,772 Posts
If you have not done the rear disc conversion, I wanted to remind you of a few expenses.

Diff Gasket ~ $5

Diff fluid ~$25

Axle seals ~$10

Calipers ~ $15(truck) $150(El dorado)

Rotors ~$60

Lines ~$40

Fittings ~$5

Brackets ~$50+ (I got mine for $65 on ebay, but I have a pattern that I copy for someone, if ya'll need it, so you can make your own!!!!)

These are prices from my local O'reiley's.

Now a few questions, why are those Caddy calipers so pricey?

I was told that I would need longer studs, so there is another $30.

I was also told to replace the bearing & races, so there is another $160.

It all adds up quick.

I think I am going to save up for the Caddy calipers and the bearings and do it right the first time.

beer beer beer beer beer beer beer beer beer beer beer beer beer beer beer

·
Registered
2,772 Posts
Also does anybody have a number for those Caddy calipers and how much did you spend? Also what year did you use?

·
Premium Member
10,819 Posts
54inches said:
Also does anybody have a number for those Caddy calipers and how much did you spend? Also what year did you use?
Caddy calipers you will need to use 78-79 Eldorado. They have the big 7" spread for mounting to the disc brake brackets.

·
Registered
2,772 Posts
Thank you very much!

·
Premium Member
6,117 Posts
I got my calipers from advance. I was going to get them from the leprichauns, but when I went to order them the guy said they couldnt get them. Use the front hoses for a 77 chevette, they are nice and short and hook right up to the fitting thats on the hard line. Just use standard chevy K20 front brake rotors, you shouldnt need new studs unless you damage them during removal. Be sure to use locktite on the mounting bolts, I had one side come loose. The bolts came out and ground down the hub nearly to the seal.

·
Registered
2,772 Posts
How much are ya'll paying for the Caddy calipers?

·
Registered
2,772 Posts
Now we have conflicting data. Is it 76-78 or 78-79.

·
Registered
2,772 Posts
I just went and looked at a pair of 79s and they were the wrong ones....

Can I get some part #'s from those of you that have them on your vehicle?

Thanks!!!

·
Premium Member
10,819 Posts
Oops---Greywolf and you are correct. It is 76-78, I bought the 79s by mistake and went back to get some 78s.

·
Registered
5,743 Posts
Lots of good info here. With a little bit of editing this could go in the tech file. Thanks guys, I'll be using this post real soon.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
c162/c163 fenco Part #s autozone lifetime warrenty 75 each/80 core each.they have to be ordered please check the threads for the e-brakei had to order 3 sets before i got a clean pair.......
you will need to keep e-brake arm and return spring,my chevy dealer cant/wont get the return spring bsflg fightte

dont blame the AUTOZONE(me) counter guys for poor qaulitycontrol from fenco!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts