Texas 4x4 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Blazer with 4.56 gears in a 12 rear and a dana 44 in front. I currently have 37" boggers. Do you all think with the stock axles that 40" TSL's would be ok? Or do you'll think it is too much stress on those axles? I want to go 1 ton but don't have the funds right now. I do a lot of mussing wit my friends so I definetly push it sometimes. Thanks in advance for your advice.

Blazerkid

·
Comfortable
5,347 Posts
well...i think im the only one here strange enough to run D44/12blt with 40's. tssl
I get away with it,as long as i stay in mud....but I do go through stuff like gears,hubs & u-joints. fightte

honestly,unless you are after all the glory you can get from a mud hole...stick with your 37's. My next set will be more like 37's....if the toothpick axles stay in place.

·
Registered
695 Posts
I would say if you are wheeling to the maul and back you MIGHT be ok. If you wheel at all hardcore you are in for alot of misery. Have you not allready broke the D44 stuff with those 37"?

·
Registered
5,743 Posts
mudnmyvayne said:
have you ran this combo??? :rolleyes:

my mall has 4' deep ruts full of mud...............
Must be hard to keep you from going there!

Old Goat is running 38.5" tires on his D44. He brakes axle shafts often. He is do OK with the back axle, but those big tires kill him on the front. U-joints can't handle turn too sharp. You are wanting to go bigger? Best to wait untill you can get that D60 in the front. You might get away with a D60 and 12 bolt back. popcornn

·
Registered
921 Posts
we were running 38s on the 44 and busted 4 axles 0ut of 6 outings....we dont do mud.....wait untill the one tons before you upgrade...we did and love the D60s.....L

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
THANKS GUYS!!! I knew that you would give me sound advice. It was gonna be a straight up trade but my Dad said no. He said the same things you'll did so I guess he knows his sh**. I have not broke anything yet with the 37"s and I do a lot of mudding. I guess I will have to keep saving up my money and get the one ton stuff. Thanks again

Blazerkid

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
yep

Yes, listen to your dad and everyone else on this, those stock axleshafts will snap in the D44 with 40" tires. Surprised it has not failed with the 37" tires. Good luck to you.

·
Registered
695 Posts
mudnmyvayne said:
have you ran this combo??? :rolleyes:

my mall has 4' deep ruts full of mud...............
Nope.:) The only thing I currently run is this computor.1funny1 But I have gone out with the guys on this board and rode passenger a couple times. The D44 seems to not like HP with tires around 37 inch. I remember Old Goat broke an axle maybe 3 or 4:) on 38 inch TSL/SXs,Limey broke and axle on 37 inch Baja Claws, and someone else broke one but I can not remember who it was. So from what I have seen D44 do not like big tires and HP. My plan is to run D44s and 38.5x12.50x15 TSL/SXs but I have 1.3 gerbils under the hood of my Zuke.:)

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
you can get away with 40's on a d44 open diff for shorts spurts but if you lock it up you'll break something everytime you lock your hubs.

·
Registered
379 Posts
im running 38.5 TSL/SX on my Dana 44......haven't had any problems....YET....just take it easy and stay in the mud should be ok....don't put a locker in the front for sure...like i say if you want to break something u will......Dana 60, Dana 44, 10 bolt...dosen't matter if u drive with a heavy right foot and don't don't drive careful off-road just a matter of time before something goes.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts