Texas 4x4 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will be getting my truck later this year. I suspect ( and hope) that, once I have it, DW will become interested in the sport as well. I would like your suggestions for a good, basic 4x4 that will let her enjoy the sport without needing massive modification, and that will be fairly reliable (as in occasionaly daily driver). She won't need a 5+ crawler, or Quagmyre, just something that will get her out on the easier trails. Brand is not critical (yet). It should be something that doesn't have any severe weak links, and shouldn't be large (probably nothing larger than a Blazer). Nothing too old either (so no Willys Wagons, though that size would be nice). Should be easy to operate as well, so auto tranny and auto hubs (or full-time) will be mandatory. It should also have comfortable seating for at least 3 full-sized humans plus a modicum of camping gear.

Possible candidates include:

Late-model Scouts
1976 onward Bronco
1976-onward Blazer
Land Rover Defender or Range Rover
Jeep mid and full-size
Toyota FJ60

Any others or any reason not to consider any of the above?

·
Registered
539 Posts
My personal choice would be an 88-91 k5 blazer. Solid axle, fuel injected 350, decent tranny, good transfer case...

·
Premium Member
6,117 Posts
Scout II

Most came with V8s with plenty of power, if you get one that is in good shape it will last a long time before needing a rebuild
Autos were TF727s which is a pretty tough tranny
Gear driven Dana 20 t-case
74/75 on had D44 fronts (be careful some still kept the earlier axle, D30?, due to running out of 44s but not many)
You can easily run 31s with no lift, although you may have some rubbing if the backspacing isnt right
Not quite a fullsize, but not too small
The whole top comes off
Most parts were different versions of other makes which makes it fairly easy to find parts
Decent fuel mileage, my 75 was averaging about 13, probably 15 hwy
Most also came with an AC
Some also came with the auto hubs, but can also be locked in manually

Rust is usually a problem in the rear wheelwells, tailgate area, and the floor; but anything that old can have the same problems

My other choice would either be a 80 or older K5 or a 88-91. I personally like the old style better, plus they seem to be built a little better. I like the grill of the 88+, plus they had FI, the improved 700r4 and the NP241 which is better than a 208. You can fit 33s without much/any fender trimming. Most 79 and older with the auto tranny were full time 4wd. The 81? and later models came with auto hubs, but they usually dont work too well, especially since the newest ones are 14 years old.

·
Registered
5,631 Posts
I would pic the Fj60 ... go figure right jamminzz ...BUT cheap and easy to drive a solid axle blazer would be a great starter truck lots of cheap steel to keep the youngins safe rockonn

·
Registered
726 Posts
if you want cheap and lots of mods go zuki... you can pick up a really good 86 for around 800 or so... 1500 and it could be already built up pretty well.

·
Registered
107 Posts
87-89 blazer, stay away from the 90-91's they had abs which sucked ass.

·
Premium Member
4,401 Posts
BOWTIE said:
jeep - they're for girls anyway. 2finger
True! 2finger

Get a Samurai on steroids.

·
Mas Tequila
18,256 Posts
BOWTIE said:
jeep - they're for girls anyway. 2finger
and your insinuating what???

bartmoon

·
OOOsahhh
3,905 Posts
Whatever you get don`t go with the auto locking hubs! Getting out to turn the dial is a small price to pay for the peace of mind,knowing when they are locked or not. Plus alot less chance of failure. Besides its your husbandly duty to switch the hubs for her!1funny1

1 - 12 of 12 Posts