Texas 4x4 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Me and cody just got through tearing the top end off the 454 in the K10. So far, everything looks good. Really good actually. The stupid thing isnt even broken in yet; it still has the hone marks in the cyl. walls.

The next step is to pull it out of the truck and check out the bottom end. I cut the old oil filter open and found little pieces of metal laying in the bottom of it. It looked to possibly be bearing material. :?

If it doesnt take too much to get it fixed I might put a new cam in it. I will probably go with this one. Comp 4x4

·
Premium Member
6,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
We finished pulling it out of the truck tonight. All the rod bearings are shot and a couple mains also. Looks like the crank needs to be turned and the timing chain is pretty loose also.

·
Mas Tequila
18,256 Posts
bummer... well at least you know what it is, huh

oh...BTW which main bearings were they??

·
Premium Member
6,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The two rear ones I think. They wouldve been ok, but some trash got in them. Luckily it didnt do too much damage to the crank, but I think it will probably need to be turned.

·
Registered
4,152 Posts
#7 & #8 every big block I've ever tore down those are always the two bad bearings.

·
Premium Member
6,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Actually those two and #1 were the only ones that looked somewhat decent.

·
Registered
4,152 Posts
4x4Freak said:
The two rear ones I think. They wouldve been ok, but some trash got in them. Luckily it didnt do too much damage to the crank, but I think it will probably need to be turned.
#7 & #8 every big block I've ever tore down those are always the two bad bearings.
Actually those two and #1 were the only ones that looked somewhat decent.
fightte ??????????

·
Premium Member
6,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I think they were probably actually running through the oil. We were on some steep hills when it lost oil pressure momentarily.

I dropped the crank off to get turned this afternoon, should have it back wed. I need to go hunt up the other parts to put it back together. I've also got a cam picked out for it.

·
Premium Member
6,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
GMPP Marine cam

·
Premium Member
6,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
:mrgreen:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts