Texas 4x4 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any suggestions on which one to get?

I want to be able to map out Nocona, Clayton, Katemcy and Gilmer and maybe one other place in a seperate folder so to speak. I also want to be able to get directions to where I am going on the highways and be able to set way points along the way. Don't want to spend over $150 or so on it.

Let me hear some ideas. jamminzz

·
Registered
154 Posts
I use the DeLorme Street Atlas 2005. Plugs into my lap top. Can only be used with my lap top. Used to find streets all over the US. I'm not to sure how good it is as far a topo maps go. Will have take it to Gilmer next time I go, see what happens.
I like it because it's cheap, $119 at any office supply or Best Buy type store.
My lap top screen is big, so you can read it as you drive down the road.
Bad part, who wants to take their lap top 4 wheeling.

·
Registered
2,895 Posts
Software is what you're asking about. I use DeLorme TopUSA for trails and it's great. I have a Garmin Etrex that I use with my little Sony Slim notebook. You can't do trip planning with a Topo map, per se. You need a street atlas type program for that, like what Gordon's talking about.

Keep in mind that a small screen is hard to use for offroad navigating, but a big screen (laptop) is harder to manage inside your vehicle. That said, you can get palm's with GPS that'll work with the software from DeLorme.

Poor man's answer: Etrex ($100), save routes and mark waypoints as you drive, download to desktop when you get home, print out a map for next time. Emergency back up plan: safely carry notebook computer stowed away on the trail; get it out if you get lost.

·
Registered
5,743 Posts
Sorry we didn't go the cheap way on the GPS. We also bought a lot of top-o maps. We did track or way down here to Jamaica, and have been using it on the sail boat, but we also knew we would be going to other countrys when we bought it. Find a good map program you like, and find out what GPS systems will work with it. :)

·
Registered
539 Posts
I have a magellan meridian GPS, its a handheld w/ the ability to add maps to. IT works great, but in a vehicle its hard to read the screen. It does connect very well to a laptop though. Magellan has the Mapsend Topo software, which seems to be pretty good but not as detailed as I would like. I think the Garmin software is better.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
garmin really stands by there product! i have one and it is water proof and still works great, acprokeith has had one for yrs and is hard as [email protected] on his and they have replaced some of his accesories for free when they broke. they are easy to deal with and stand behind there product if something happens. i would definately buy from them again.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.