Texas 4x4 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need help deciding which locker to go with iam on a buget so i need a cheap locker for a 14 bolt 9.5 I would love to have a detroit locker but cant afford it and i dont want to weld welder b/c i still drive it on the pavement (weekends only) i have heard good and bad about the lockrite locker so any pros and cons of a cheap locker would be apprcaited thanks

·
Mas Tequila
18,252 Posts
cheapest is welding, then lockrite, then up to your pocket book. I've run lock-rites w\o issue..

·
Registered
2,895 Posts
IF they make one for a 14 bolt, Genuine (4wpw house brand) QuickLock used to be less expensive than Lockrite. They look identical to me once you get them out of the box.

I've bought and installed 4 of these "lunchbox" lockers and have had zero issues with install or operation. One Samurai rear axle (31" tires), one Samurai front axle (35" tires), one Ram 1500 Dana 44 front axle (35" tires), and one more D44 front in a Sami (38" tires).

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks for the info i heard that lockrite locker had a problem with axles that use's c-clips but i think iam going to get a lockrite anyways or check on the Genuine (4wpw house brand) QuickLock

·
Registered
2,895 Posts
AFAIK, c-clip axles with a Lockrite aren't a problem until you break an axle. It's not the Lockrite that's the problem; it's the way a c-clip axle breaks that makes it tough to get apart when you have a lunchbox in there.

·
Comfortable
5,347 Posts
Hatch said:
IF QuickLock used to be less expensive than Lockrite. They look identical to me once you get them out of the box.

I've bought and installed these "lunchbox" lockers and have had zero issues with install or operation..
I run a quick-loc in the front of my rig & a lock-rite in the rear.I have had no issues yet,even with 40s on 1/2 ton axles.I am sold on the lock-rite as another member here Abuses his with 44s & 700hp with no probs yet.

There are only minor differances betwen the two,with the edge in strength going to the Lock-rite. The L-R has 4 sets of pins,with TWO springs per pin.this makes for a "tighter" lock...i think. The Q-L also has 4 pins but only ONE cheasy spring per pin,but I have yet to break it. Genuine gear also includes 'spare' pins & springs with the locker,if that tells you anything.almost like they expect it to break.

Hatch was right about c-clips & lunchbox lockers.if it so happens you need to remove the locker,it is a real pain.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Another vote for a lunch box locker. I've run a couple (lock right) had no problems other then having to replace the springs after a few years.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.