Texas 4x4 Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've grown to like the high torque mini starters. But am having an issue with this one.

This is on my '71 C10 with gen-I 350/350 combo.

I scavenged the mini starter off it a year or so ago to put on my K20 burb. Truck stat for a year, and I finally got around to working on the '71 again.

I picked up a mini starter at a swap meet a couple weeks ago. It went right in, and fired the truck right up. However, it has an intermittent issue where it sounds like the pinion is hitting the flywheel, not engaging the teeth. It's just a "tank", "tank", sound when I hit the key. I can lay down and rotate the pinion a bit, and sometimes it will engage and work, then sometimes I have to make several attempts.

I have installed four shims between the starter and block, no help. I have installed a second shim between the starter motor and mounting block on the starter to give it more linear travel before hitting the flywheel, no help there either.

The last starter worked without fail, and works just as well on the burb. But this particular starter is giving me fits. It seems to work right in all other aspects, it just has an attitude at times, and that gives me an attitude as well.

Any advise is appreciated.

Jay

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
Take it apart and lube the bendix.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts