Texas 4x4 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I know there have been topics on this before. But Rev, do you have any pics of how you attached the ram to your linkage. I like to fab stuff myself and all I see here are pics f the steering box (which is also helpful). I have an 87' shortbox chevy that I would like to get more steering out of and I think this is my answer but would like to see an end product. If anyone else has pics that would help please send them to [email protected].
Thanks guys.

·
Mas Tequila
18,256 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hye thanks rastus That helps a whole lot. I should be able to make what I need from that.

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
hydro ram

I used 2 tabs just like the one shown in the lower picture and as you can see in the upper pic I welded one near the end of the drag link on the drivers side and the other tab was shortened and welded direct to the axle near the differential. I took a grinder before welding and ground the edges to a V to allow better penetration of the weld. My ram is a 2" x 8" from Tractor Supply. Most folks are using the better rams from some of the places who do Ram steering for a living. My cheap ram does fine for what I am willing to tackle on the trail. Good luck with your project.

·
Registered
2,772 Posts
Would hydro assist or full hydraulic be safe for the street or even legal? My inclination would say yes to the former, but no to the latter. Any experience with this?

·
Registered
2,772 Posts
Well I found the answer to my own question....BillVista says that DOT states that there is no safety standard for steering systems.....

thanksjamminzz

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
54 Thanks for the pics and advice. That is good to know info. Thanks

·
Premium Member
6,117 Posts
Typically, full hydro isnt legal to run on the street. If setup right it can be just as good as the stock setup. The main problem, as I found out last weekend, is if you blow a hose you have NO steering.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts