Texas 4x4 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchsed a 454 heh heh and I would like to build it up right. The previous owner couldn't verify a few things that I would like to know, like the compression ratio, how can you find out or figure it out? The block has the recriprocating assembly done so I will probably leave it alone. Heads are on but not torqued. May back off a rod cap or two just to check the bearings out. Pull off the heads and look inside. It came with a Torquer mainfold, is that a good choice to use? It has a double gear timing setup and a new cam gotta find out what it is though. Guess I will have to do that by removing the cam and seeing if there are any # on it. Unless you guys have any better ideas. This motor will be placed in a 86 Blazer. It will be equippedwith 1 ton axles and 44's or 42's. It will see some extensive use as a mudding and rock crawling truck along with being the shop mascot. So I am open to ANY suggestions. Help me build this thing right the first time.

Thanks,
Joe

Monster Off-Road

·
Super Moderator
6,117 Posts
And be sure to do it before you put it in the truck. It's not too fun. lol

·
Registered
469 Posts
To figure comp ratio you need alittle info to start. Stroke, bore, flat/dome pistons and cc of the dome if that is the case, distance/cc from top of piston to the deck, and cc of the combustion chamber in the cylinder head. Most all of this info will be typical and easily figured with the exception of the piston and head numbers.

I have a dyno program I can use to figure the stuff you are looking for so if you get me the numbers I can probably help you out. Also these kinds of programs can be purchased for around $12 if your interested.

Catfish 8)

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
Torker

That intake is supposed to make power starting at 2500 rpm which is high for rock climbing but with 454 cu. in. who cares... lol sounds like you have an engine with huge potential.

·
Super Moderator
6,117 Posts
I would sell that intake and get a Perf. RPM. I really like mine, it has good low end and a decent top end. My cam is the limiting factor.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts