Texas 4x4 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so the Tech Offroad guys are goin on a trip to Moab in August, the 20-26 to be exact, and if anyone wants to join let me know and I can get ya the details. My dilemma is to buy somethin and try and fix it up a bit before we go, or just wait and ride along there and on down the road buy somethin to wheel on my own. Im gonna have about 2000-2500 or so to spare on a vehicle, including all the mods and such. This leaves me in a tight spot, get somethin real cheap, get it runnin, and do some little things to make it wheelable? or just wait and ride along? We are going to have everything from a couple buggies on 4D's down to a Grand Cherokee on 33s, so a little of every level of wheelable vehicles will be there. So I was gonna throw this out there and see what you guys have to say......

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
I'd say just rent one for a day or two while you're out there, then ride with some buddies and take pics the rest of the time.

We went a few months ago, and it's a long damn way to pull a jeep, let alone drive one, and I sure wouldn't jump into a $2k rig and trust it to get me to Utah and back.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
naw, itll be towed, already got a trailer i can borrow so thats no big deal

cant rent anything cause im just 21 (well, will be on wed)

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Sounds to me like you really are looking for the challenge of building a cheap rig and having it ready to take in late August. I say go for it. Find something mechanically reliable that all the stock stuff works on, break out the sawzall and some bigger tires and call it good. Should be able to find plenty of rigs around here that could do the job cheap. You've got 3 months and most importantly you've got buddies around that can help you get it done.

Some of my fondest memories come from challenges like that. My old boat was a project we started my freshman year at Tech. Every summer we spent in my back yard drinking up the parts money and wasting our time. Always had the same three months, no money, and as we got older a lot less free time. Never did get her out there, but we enjoyed it just the same.

Last year my son and I finally got it done and called all my old college buddies from the lake. Gave us a chance to catch up on things and they've all been invited back home to go out and sit in the boat.

·
Registered
5,743 Posts
I say just ride with people this year. That way you can see what works best, and you will have an idea of what to buy.

·
Registered
2,772 Posts
fourwheelerjeff said:
you want a blazer or cherokee to build? i have several i could sell you. lol
That is the understatement of the YEAR!!!!

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
fourwheelerjeff said:
you want a blazer or cherokee to build? i have several i could sell you. lol
got a cherokee for about 1000 bucks? gimme about a month and ill take it!!

the thing about waitin is that we are goin to go different places each year, at least thats what we have discussed....

i kinda like dubby's idea of just gettin somethin and doin nothin more than cut the fenders and tires, but id need at least a rear locker too.....

more ideas welcome, im just tryin to talk myself into buyin somethin i know, but ideas are still more than welcome

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
hmm

I have somewhat mixed emotions about your predicament. I sure remember being 21 and everybody always telling me WAIT, WAIT, WAIT (I usually went ahead and did what I wanted anyway lol). But my desire was to get it done yesterday. MOAB for some of us would be a once in a lifetime event. So my advice is, LIFE is SHORT, find a mechanically sound rig and mod away. You will be happy doing it yourself and proud. If you come to an obstacle you know will break your rig apart just bypass it and keep your ride together for the rest of the trail. You could gain a lot of experience from Moab and then when you get back home make more mods to the rig. Good luck either way you decide to go and have fun on the trip.

·
I've met Johnny Cash
2,207 Posts
mudgod said:
I say just ride with people this year. That way you can see what works best, and you will have an idea of what to buy.
Listen to this wisdom, grasshopper. There's an old saying, "Cheap lovers make expensive wives." In our hobby, that translates into meaning you will have money tied up into your rig, one way or the other - either by buying cheap and building, or by waiting and buying it built or mostly built already.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
xanthias said:
Listen to this wisdom, grasshopper. There's an old saying, "Cheap lovers make expensive wives." In our hobby, that translates into meaning you will have money tied up into your rig, one way or the other - either by buying cheap and building, or by waiting and buying it built or mostly built already.
im not gonna buy anything thats built. i almost enjoy building stuff more than actually wheeling. building a buggy with a good buddy of mine right now is a blast, fabbing, problem solving, all that fun stuff is fun to me, maybe im just weird

wes

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
ttkid524 said:
im not gonna buy anything thats built. i almost enjoy building stuff more than actually wheeling. building a buggy with a good buddy of mine right now is a blast, fabbing, problem solving, all that fun stuff is fun to me, maybe im just weird

wes

nothing weird about it. that's half the fun of owning a vehicle and half the population never knows the mixed emotions that come with modding something.

as far as the locker goes, $25 for a roll of wire ain't that bad. you'll probably end up upgrading the rear end later anyway, lincoln it now and break something else.

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
its just money, I say go buy a stock jeep and give it hell in moab, then bring it back and fix everything that you tear up.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts