Texas 4x4 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

My buddy mark and i have been working on this build for a few months not so I thought I'd post my progress so far. We managed to make some good progresss on the rear body tub. The Driver side inner fender is done and the passenger rear fender is about 90% done. The box break we made worked out perfectly.

We also managed to complete the custom 4-link setup, frame, gas tank, corners, and installed the coils and it is now sitting on it's own again. With the rear winch I can lower the Jeep up to 7". Check out the vids below
http://s82.photobucket.com/albums/j276/ttrdiablo/Jeep%20projects/Tear%20Down/?action=view&current=MOV02453.mp4
http://s82.photobucket.com/albums/j276/ttrdiablo/Jeep%20projects/Tear%20Down/?action=view&current=MOV02450.mp4

I started to work on the front end. Got the old fenders removed. (Anyone interrested in OEM CJ fenders?) Got the new fenders mocked up. Still need to mock up the stuff that mounted to the fenders. Began removing anything tied to the body as I plan on removing the body for paint and bedliner.

These bolted up pretty easy and I was able to install them on my own. Next steps are to remove the front winch and brake boost in preperation of cutting off the front frame and rolling it out to make room for a new frame, 3 link, hydro assist steering, coil overs, and a Dana 60 on 39" pitbulls.

·
Premium Member
13,159 Posts
Nice Scrambler Build...jamminzz

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
July is here

I was not happy with the way the front TNT fenders looked after further review. They seemed to be crooked and pointing outwards towards the front and they did not line up with the rear fender flares. I purchased the Scrambler totalled a few years back and tweaked it best I could to get it on the trails (phase 1). Unfortunately I had to dig into the firewall and fix the tub in order to get the fenders installed correctly. It is amazing how much bedliner will hide. With the bedliner out of the way (it looks like brains)

Got the cut off wheel after it, a little prying, and it's out.

Time for a new section - NEXT.

For now here is the rear tailgate and side marker lights installed.

Also here are my SWAG body mounts and aluminum body pucks

My original rocker skids (rocker knockers) were 1/4". When I went to install them again, they stuck out 1/8" over the rear 3/16" corners we installed. Being picky, I decided to extend the 3/16" plate all the way to the cowl/front fender and make a new rocker knocker that extends from fender to fender. The dang rain surprised us and forced us back into the garage (not a lot of room lol).

Making crazy progress so I'll post an update next week.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Kudos

Thanks for the kudos guys. Mark and I have been busting butt every chance we get. However, Mark is doing all the welding for me.

Here he is in action - You guys didn't get to see the first part of the build as I am now about the middle of it but the end is near.

Mando

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Switching gears

Changing the pace a little we decided to mock up the STAK transfer case, clocked in order to have a semi flat skidplate and tranni mount.

We were forced to cut the floor board to make room for the clocked Transfer Case.

Due to the longer width of the T-Case we opted to cut the fram further back than planned to make room for the front drive shaft and exhaust (AMC 360).

Once we complete the tub work, we'll get started on the frame and front 3 link coil over suspension to make room for the full width Dana 60 on 39" pitbulls.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Lookin good Mondo !
Haven't talked to you guy's in a long time
give me a shout some time for a:budlight:

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Forward Progress

Mark and I got the driver floor board and firewall replaced. We had to push the body out. We straightened out the bottom body mount "L" support and spot welded it back in place. We removed the cheesy OEM nuts and we replaced them with 3/16 strap welded in place and we drilled and tapped it. We had to replace a small section of the floor due to some rust. We also got the passenger floor closed/welded as well. I choose to just flatten the floor after all vs. having all the odd ball curves and steps.

Here is a shot of the whole floor so far

We also got the other side of the 3/16 plate added to the body to finish up the sides of the body. Later we'll get tubing and start working on the step.

We also worked on the rear inner fender panels to hide the gas hoses, lights, cage mount, and wiring. Mark welded in some 3/16 strap and drilled and tapped it so we can easily remove the panels for access to the lights and/or wiring.
They will be covered in bedliner along with the whole inner fender as well.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Roll Cage build underway

Due to scheduling conflicts, I decided to push the roll cage build ahead of the front 3-link suspension build for the moment. The cage is being built by Cactus Custom Metals and here is the progress so far. Overall it is great progress. The cage will be powdercoated black and I am going to add a 1/8" aluminum top.

Still left to do:
Dash bar, complete main halo, seat/dash mounts (tied into roll cage), main hoop x and seat belt harness tabs, braces, handles, etc...

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Scrambler and cage are home

Wayne and Eric from Catus Custom Metals worked really hard to wrap up the Roll cage. Brought the cage home to add speaker enclosures and finalize seats and center console before sending it off for powder coating. I wanted to go with black for ease of upkeep, but I feel it requires something other than black??? Now I can get back to the front suspension/axle stuff!!!

Here are pics of the cage

Cactus Custom Metals nailed it right on the cage build and cleared the garage door!

·
Premium Member
10,819 Posts
Very nice build!!!rockonn

·
Premium Member
13,159 Posts
Scrambler lookin AWESOME , I like the Cage...jamminzz

tssl :toast: tssl

1 - 20 of 74 Posts