Texas 4x4 Forum banner
41 - 60 of 74 Posts
Awesome work ,,Jeep's lookin Good...jamminzz

:toast:

Discussion starter · #44 ·
Body is back on the frame

Thanks again for the kudos/feedback. My wife said the windchime reminded her of one of those church pianos. Mark and I got the frame, axles, and links painted.

Got a group of friends (Kyle, Scott, Gordon, Keith, Richard, Joey, Chris, Greg, and Todd) to help put the body back onto the frame. Got the body mounts done. Started the wiring, steering column, eng wireing, etc..

Next steps: Continue working on wiring, gauges, dash, etc. before moving onto the front fenders/hood/grill.

Discussion starter · #48 ·
Light at the end of the tunnel!

The current Jeep project is coming to an end. Been busting butt and spending every moment possible to wrap this project up since the Baby girl is due in approx 8 weeks!

Got almost everything back on.
Got all fluids topped off.
We even got the motor started, thnx to Scott for taking the time to come over and help us out. Check out the vid below. It is on the way to get the exhaust done tomorrow (today) morning.

Next steps:
I have bad performance on my brakes, so that is next to be tackled before possibly making a quick test run at Hidden Falls on Saturday.
When I return I still have to obtain an electronic speedo gauge (Turns out the STAK t-case is not compatible with a mechanical setup) SO need to convert - never even checked LOL.
Still need to install Stereo/speakers.
Need to add limiting straps up front.
Wet sand the cage/body
CB radio

Now I need to clear out my garage and clean up Mark's garage so I can take it home!

Still need to purchase the rear seat and aluminum bikini top blah blah blah.

Crap... that turned out freakin' awesome. Damn! You boys have skills.

Discussion starter · #50 ·
Maiden voyage a success

*I will try to take a pic of the box beak for you. If you were here I'd sell it to you for the cost of the materials but you are in Cali:shrug:

After wrestling the brake problem and as a result missing the trip to Hidden Falls on Saturday Mark I finally got them resolved that eve. Therefore, the trip was finally put in motion Sunday.

Everything, well almost everything went off with out a hitch. I was impressed by low and how smooth the ride was and how low the gears were. With all these new items such a new 4-link, 3-link, sway bar, coil overs, gas tank, hydro assist, hydro cltuch, frame, skid, exhaust, tranni mount, t-case mount, brakes, frame, winch, etc... for all of it to have worked the first time out was freaking awesome. However, there are a few things we did not complete and we'll get to soon like add the front bump stops, limiting straps, stereo/speakers, bead locks, and speedo. Later I will get the rear seat, aluminum top, and custom half doors. The only adjustment we need to do is raise the front coils.

My last trip was to Hidden Falls last year for Labor Day (if anyone here remembers). So it was only natural that it's return was at Hidden Falls.

Arrived at Hidden Falls. Nobody was there as everyone had headed home. We had the whole park to ourselves. However, we did run into a small group. A couple who got married at athe park and was filmed by the CMT ******* weddings (I was told to be aired on Jan season premier).
Getting ready to hit the trails.

Finally on the trails

Check out the first obstable Mark felt suitable to test it out on LOL. NOTE the first ledge is approx 3' tall. the next is 2" and it is straight up but the pic makes it look like a ramp.

Mark had to spot me so no pic/vid on this one. More pics...

Some vids
The noise you are hearing is my new power steering pump. I needed to add more fluid. Guess I did a poor job of bleeding it. We headed back to camp and we still forgot to add fluid (Doh). Sounded like a mini chubacca. None the less it worked like a charm.

Mark "advised" me to hit a water hole that did not look too bad but as a result it was too deep as water got inside and I quickly hit reverse! Did I ever tell anyone I hate mud? Well I wanted to hand the wheel to Mark so he can also enjoy his hard work and conduct his own "testing". So, here he is...

All went well until I popped a bead approx 20 yards from the end of our last trail. Mark spotted me off the trail trying to conserve the tire/rim (could not work on the Jeep on this part of the trail so of all places to have this happen). We managed to remove the tire, add a strap, spray some starter fuild, add flame and poof, we are back in business. We got out of the park just as it got dark and got home to our wives in time for dinner. The truck and new trailer towed great. Time to clean out my garage and give Mark his garage back. I'll update more stuff as I get to it. BTW I forgot my spare! Mark thought I loaded it and I thought Mark loaded it. What would a trip be with out an adventure.

Although we are not 100% done (when are you right?) Mark has worked his butt off to help me get this wrapped up and I am forever gratefiul for hanging in there. Note a lot of the equipment to build this was either leased or borrowed and built in a two car garage as quickly as possible before the babies are coming. My wife found me great deals on parts and was a great support of the whole project. I have a lot of people to thank and I will gather all that soon.

Very Nice Mando. You can be proud of that rig, and that little lady of yours. Those types and not only put up with our illness but also help us are few and far between. Go update the guys at TJO. One of them asked about the jeep and the progress last week.

Discussion starter · #53 ·
Gas tank inquiry

rgr,

Sorry for not including those details on this thread. I have those details on another forum

http://www.cj-8.com/forum/showthread.php?t=24153

I purchased a 17 gallon aluminum RCI gas tank. I had Wayne from Cactus Metals modify it for me. I then added a 1/4 in aluminum skid plate to protect it and it is all nicely tucked in between the frame and not in the cab.

Dan,

I'll go provide an update on TJO.

Mando

Discussion starter · #54 ·
Scrambler is finally back in my garage

I was finally able to clean out my garage in order to make room for the JEEP and give Mark his garage back.

fits through the door along side my wife's car. Still have room to open the back passenger door with enough room to put the baby car seat in/out.

Mando

wow. this thing is crazy nice.

no problems with bumpsteer?

Discussion starter · #59 ·
pics

Thanks for the kudos guys. I received my Electronic Speedo today so time to wire it up.

I do have the original pics. Send me an e-mail at ttrdiablo@gmail.com and I can send them to ya'.

awesome build!

http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j276/ttrdiablo/HIdden Falls/DSC02979.jpg
http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j276/ttrdiablo/HIdden Falls/DSC02982.jpg

do you have the hi-res files of these images? i'd love to use them as a computer background on my shop computer!

Discussion starter · #60 ·
bumpsteer inquiry

No problems at the moment. I have not truly squared the front and rear axles (by way of the links and trac bar) and I have not driven it on the street yet (except up and down the block) Once I adjust all that and raise the front end a little I will then head out to register/inspect it and take it on the road test. However, driving it down the block as it is, seems to be working as far as I can tell.

wow. this thing is crazy nice.

no problems with bumpsteer?

41 - 60 of 74 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.