Texas 4x4 Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Mas Tequila
14,889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am getting closer to the starting point on the YJ... I'd like to stretch it to approx 107" or so and I am considering 4 link coil suspension. (re: TJ) I feel comfortable laying out the rear, but the front is a different animal.

I've done some researching on the front setups and have seen several different opinions on this. I can copy the way my TJ is setup, I can create the mounts on the axle and tie them into the frame, I can go leaf in the front and 4 link in the rear, or I can go leaf all the way round using XJ springs with the long end to the front with some 1 ton leaves.

My goal is traction along with flexibility but not insane.

If I go 4 link in the front what would be the best way to lay out the arms?

what size heims are best and which ones, rebuildable or non-rebuildable?

I'm thinking 1.5" DOM for the link arms, is that right or to big \ small ?

If you had a bare frame and were setting up the suspension which would you choose and why?

· Registered
1,124 Posts
We are just about finished with the scout and we went with front coils ( mainly for approach angle) and a buggy spring setup in the rear. We really havent had much chance to play with it, but it seems to have really good flex. You can look at a few pics in POPS gallery. but the pics are not very detailed. But it will be at Katemacy June 11th. We stretched the wheelbase from 100" to 109". If POPS would get in gear
he has more pics to post..

· Mas Tequila
14,889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Good...I want to check it out while @ K-rocks.. :) Post up the pics Sam..

I saw one today that had the two lowers links and one upper on the pass side.. Not sure how stable that would be tho. Waiting to hear back from the owner with his opinion and reason for building it that way.

One concern I have is clearance for steering, driveshaft etc.. Of course a lot of that will have to wait till I can do a mock-up.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.