Texas 4x4 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was given a Linux CD to install in one of my computers to replace Windows ME. I was wondering if anybody here runs Linux and if so can help me with some things. I am looking around Linux.com but not sure if I understand what it is they are trying to tell me about what it is I want to know.

Thanks,

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My main question is about modems. I'm trying to figure out if my Lucent modem will work or which modem I need to get. I haven't been able to find where to go in the programs to find much info on the modem. One of the computer places in town told me I need another brand of modem. Another place told me they might could download the drivers I needed for mine, but I would be better off getting another computer.

I kind of like what I've seen with Linux so far but I haven't got much past the games. I'd like to check it out a little more because I've heard so many good things about it.

·
Mas Tequila
18,256 Posts
what version of Linux did you get Dave? depending on the version you may need to find a RPM for the modem.

a link http://www.oreillynet.com/linux/cmd/

remember, google is your friend. :)

·
Mas Tequila
18,256 Posts

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The CD was Linspire 4.5. One of my bud's son downloaded it for his computer. The computer I'm on now is soo slow and I think the one I put Linux on might last me a couple more years if I could only get it to work. I may just buy a new one when our refund gets here.

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hmm... Googling Linspire takes me to a site that looks like what I have. It says something about Linux. I don't know what I have now but I did find I can use a Rockwell modem for it. Now to look through the parts and find one.

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
When searching earlier, I couldn't click on Linux.org so I clicked on the .com. It worked now and I see the penguin thing I have on what I installed. Looks like the .org site may be of some help.

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Whifflebat said:
X100000000
I only had it running for a day or so and I agree.

What's different with Linspire?

·
Registered
539 Posts
Its the way they have it setup, where all the users have root access by default. This makes it easier to use (don't have to enter passwords all the time), but from a security standpoint its not so hot. Other than that though its a good place to start :D

On other linux distros normal users don't have root access, which means they can't change system files accidentally, and keeps out viruses and other junk.

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Is it as vunerable as Windows? I may want to try another source.

·
Registered
539 Posts
That I don't know. Anyone who knows linux knows that it is a possible security threat, so I would think they would have come up with some other way to provide system security. I don't know for sure though since I've never had a chance to play with it.

Its probably not as vulnerable as windows though, IMO windows is like swiss cheese (the kind with the really big holes!) :D

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I reckon that since it's already on the computer, I'll see what all I can do with it. Now to get a modem to work with it. I think I found one last night.

·
Mas Tequila
18,256 Posts
Hatch said:
I must be lucky. I've never had trouble with Windows and security.
yup, you have been

·
Registered
695 Posts
I am on windows me. Works and the virus makers do not even bother to make a virus that would infect all 3 of us on the www still using me. 1funny1

1 - 19 of 19 Posts