Texas 4x4 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok guys I need a little help making up my mind. I have an 87' pu with 77' 3/4 ton axles 4wd. I am trying to decide if I should wait and save money and buy a locker or go ahead and buy a mini spool for the rearend. I have also thought about just welding my rearend and just go with it like that. This truck is strickly a toy truck and is on the road just long enough to get to the mud holes around the house or it is trailer to the parks. So road driving is not an issue. What do yall think. I dont have a lot of money but would like to get something. I would appreciate any and all advice that I can get. I also know its easy to spend someone elses money, so the default answer would not be just buy the locker. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
272 Posts
I'll assume Chevy... so the 14FF (77 3/4 ton axle) is a great one for welding up. Pull the case halfs aparts and weld the 4 spider gears solid. if its a toy truck like you say, you'll never regret welding the rear. now the front will be a different story...

·
Mas Tequila
18,252 Posts
weld it.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys I really appreiciate it. Couldn't really decide what to do. Any advice on what no to do when welding it. welder beer

·
Premium Member
6,117 Posts
Spray them down with some brake cleaner to get rid of the oil. I set mine in the carrier, tacked them up, then pulled em out and welded the crap out of them. I used 7018 rods and welded everything to everything.

·
OOOsahhh
3,905 Posts
4x4Freak said:
Spray them down with some brake cleaner to get rid of the oil. I set mine in the carrier, tacked them up, then pulled em out and welded the crap out of them. I used 7018 rods and welded everything to everything.

Can`t improve on that! It`s cheap and easy. If you decide on a spool don`t do a mini,get the full spool. smokin

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hey guys thanks for the push. I did it. My son was sick yesturday and had to stay home with him. (hate it when that happens)!!! Pulled it out and did it. welder the spider gears together and then welder the carrier to the ring gear housing. I took pics but cant post them. Haven't contributed yet. Waiting on the wife to give the go ahead on the donations. But it is coming!!!!! You guys really have been a big help on me getting started in 4wheelin. Thanks again. rockonn

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.